Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : So... all these RPGs (I don't want to play them all...)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
IP: Logged
icon Re: So... all these RPGs (0)  
Pinnacle wrote:
EDIT: The Laxius Power series is quite good too. (freeware)

EDIT AGAIN: Laxius Power is intended for ages 16+ (just need to put that disclaimer)
I'm bumping this thread for the sole purpose of stating my disgust - nay, loathing - abhorring hatred! - for these games. They're bad enough to merit it.
When the game is started, one is greeted with DOS graphics, which might be excusable if RPG Maker weren't free. Splash screens which last for minutes cannot be skipped with any sort of keypress (let alone mouse support - it's DOS). The main menu finally appears, and it's unreadable because of whatever font they improvised. With some trial & error, I find the Load Game screen, then manage to start a new game.
Comes then a cutscene, with graphics & (the same) font that prevented me from figuring out what was going on for several minutes. The action also moves at far too slow a pace, when it isn't requiring far too many keypresses than it ought to keep what I assume was dialogue going. When I finally recognized enough to piece out the plot, it wasn't worth the cognitive frustration. But, I thought, perhaps the actual gameplay is worthwhile, and the font readable therein, since wasn't it's recommender a trusted DRODer and forumite? O, bless me for a rube. For 26.2 more minutes I endured the constant cutscenes - for they could not be skipped, nor even sped along!
Finally, I realized the characters onscreen were no longer moving, and tentatively pressed some keys. Yes, it was the game proper; a mass of bloated pixels was apparently responding somehow to my keyboard. I had my mass move near another mass, and - here was the final outrage - the font remained illegible! At this point the game laughed at my feeble escape attempts via the Esc, Q, X, Ctrl, and various other keys, till at last I found two other keys that, with Ctrl, would make the accursed thing begone: Alt & Delete.
After this I uninstalled it via the provided program, which still left things in the Start menu and possibly elsewhere, then via system restore utilities, because the site's forum had mentioned computer corruption.
And I won't even get into the essential repeat I had with the sequels (maybe they'd be better, I thought).
Executive summary: Laxius Power and everything else on that website is sheer unadulterated steaming flaming fecal matter (metaphorically speaking)!

Now that I've that off my chest, I'll mention that SLASH'EM (Nethack improved) is decent, provided one cheats the save function & dearth of identify spells with file copy/paste. I've currently a male elf wizard through the Sokoban levels, and it's fairly fun.

11-25-2006 at 11:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
icon Re: So... all these RPGs (+1)  
Here, try this.

Unlike every other RPG it requires absolutely no input from the player of any description.

You can just leave it running in the background with no hastle while you do other things.

11-26-2006 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Tombot wrote:
Here, try this.
Cute, but reread the OP and you'll see I knew about it.

11-27-2006 at 01:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Tombot wrote:
Here, try this.

Unlike every other RPG it requires absolutely no input from the player of any description.

You can just leave it running in the background with no hastle while you do other things.

You know, I'd try it, but in every game I play, all my characters jump off the nearest cliff at any given oppurtunity. One time, I'd won the game, and the character was walking by a cliff during the credits, and he jumped off. I promptly got a game over.
11-27-2006 at 01:35 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Lemmings is not an RPG.

11-27-2006 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Jatopian, ever played a MUD?

11-27-2006 at 07:06 AM
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
Here's a good one that I've been playing for a while:Adventure Quest Free account, and you play online!
11-27-2006 at 09:52 PM
Jatopian
Maurog wrote:
Jatopian, ever played a MUD?
Well, when I was younger I... oh that MUD. If I can't handle Nethack without a GUI, I doubt I'll enjoy one of those.

11-27-2006 at 11:21 PM
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
If you can find Ultima Underworld, it is a true first-person RPG of an excellent sort.

Two games that are tricky to find but well worth it in my opinion, however:
* Tales of Symphonia. The real-time combat scheme is excellent and allows you to be hideously underleveled and still kill even the toughest bosses with enough skill.
* Disgaea: Hour of Darkness (or Disgaea 2, or Phantom Brave, or Makai Kingdom). I just cna't begin to explain these game's awesomeness...

I'm a bit hardcore, and Disgaea is incredibly powerlevel-y, though. Plus they're both console games, and onconsoles which are notoriously hard to pirate (a good thing in my book), so.

A decent DIsgaea-styled freeware RPG would be awesome. :(

11-30-2006 at 09:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : So... all these RPGs (I don't want to play them all...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com