Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : So... all these RPGs (I don't want to play them all...)
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Re: So... all these RPGs (+1)  
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I know you can get it by perfectly legitimate means, but one of the best RPG's I've ever played is EarthBound for the SNES. Seriously, great game. It's possible to purchase it off ebay or maybe at a lucky Electronics Boutique, and it's only about $50 to get it new off Ebay if you're lucky. It's non-real time, with lots of things to do. If you've not played it, I highly recommend you do.

Fixed.

Also, re: powerlevelling

In the original FF1 I once hit level 10 before fighting Garland.

D:

You won't understand what this means if you've only played the Dawn of Souls version.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 09-15-2006 06:23 PM]
09-15-2006 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
John259
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Have you considered Mount & Blade? I'm not sure if it fully meets your critera so here's a quick review (I have no connection):

Available via download only. Free demo. Payware for the full version. Currently in beta (but eminently playable) so available at a reduced price which entitles you to all future versions for no extra charge.
Medieval setting.
Full 3D world.
Lots of player stats.
Trading, purchasing armour, weapons, horses, food, etc.
Build up your warrior band.
Various missions to be undertaken for merchants and/or the nobility of each faction.
Realtime element, fighting on foot and on horseback, but this can be by-passed if you really want to. The large battle scenes with numerous horseman are extremely impressive.
Optional free add-ons ("mods") developed by users, which use the same game engine but in different eras etc.
Lively but friendly forum.

John

09-17-2006 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
chinook
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Great thread! :)

I'm gonna suggest Fallout 1 and 2, and second any Planescape: Torment and Baldur's Gate suggestions.

Fallout 2 is particularly terrific, as is Torment.

09-18-2006 at 10:49 PM
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: So... all these RPGs (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
Pilchard VIII wrote:
I know you can get it by perfectly legitimate means, but one of the best RPG's I've ever played is EarthBound for the SNES. Seriously, great game. It's possible to purchase it off ebay or maybe at a lucky Electronics Boutique, and it's only about $50 to get it new off Ebay if you're lucky. It's non-real time, with lots of things to do. If you've not played it, I highly recommend you do.
:-OCheeky git.

09-19-2006 at 04:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:

D:

You won't understand what this means if you've only played the Dawn of Souls version.

I've only played the Dawn of Souls version, but isn't Garland a pushover anyway?

I mean, seriously, he's the best knight they've got and a party of adventurers who wandered up the continent and fought about 20 monsters can kill him. 4 on 1, but still. And don't get me started on the symmetrical Chaos Temple. What, exactly, is chaotic about it? It's an imposter is what it is.

09-20-2006 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
Mattcrampy wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

D:

I've only played the Dawn of Souls version, but isn't Garland a pushover anyway?

I mean, seriously, he's the best knight they've got and a party of adventurers who wandered up the continent and fought about 20 monsters can kill him. 4 on 1, but still. And don't get me started on the symmetrical Chaos Temple. What, exactly, is chaotic about it? It's an imposter is what it is.

He's referring more to the levelgrinding, which is *ugly* on the NES version, more so than the boss.

On the original FF1, if a monster died and you still had party members set to attack it, they'd still *try* to attack it instead of moving to the next monster. So what happens if you set all your characters to attack a monster and it dies on the first attack? You just wasted a whole turn.

09-20-2006 at 06:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Oh god, that was an awesome game mechanic. You actually had to figure out how many hits each monster would take before dying, and measure out who would hit what so you wouldn't waste anything.

It made it more difficult, but you had to think, dammit.

And Mattcrampy: Consider that to beat garland you are expected to generally be level 3-ish on the NES version. Level 50 is an /accomplishment/, and the maximum level.
09-20-2006 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Come on, stop with the level inflation already! You reached level 10 a few days ago, and now you are talking about level 50. It's not because nobody picked up the reference the first time around that it will suddenly become teh awesome if you increase the numbers.

Erh, yeah, I actually would have liked this sort of attack pattern. I must be a weirdo.
09-20-2006 at 09:31 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Banjooie wrote:
Oh god, that was an awesome game mechanic. You actually had to figure out how many hits each monster would take before dying, and measure out who would hit what so you wouldn't waste anything.

But in a RPG, where the amount of damage dealt varies?
09-20-2006 at 09:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
NiroZ wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

But in a RPG, where the amount of damage dealt varies?
That's when you pause the game, and start calculating probabilities based on the combat damage formulaes. Obviously.

It doesn't really matter, because differences between inflicted damage per hit are most of the time not enough to change the amount of hits needed to take monster X down. Golden Sun did this, too, and it was only mildly annoying at times. (And it wasn't 'wasting' your turn completely, because the characters would use the defend command automatically)
09-20-2006 at 02:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Alneyan wrote:
Come on, stop with the level inflation already! You reached level 10 a few days ago, and now you are talking about level 50. It's not because nobody picked up the reference the first time around that it will suddenly become teh awesome if you increase the numbers.

Erh, yeah, I actually would have liked this sort of attack pattern. I must be a weirdo.

I think you have somehow misinterpreted my statement.

I didn't hit level 50. What I am saying is: The NES's scale goes from 1-50, whereas in Dawn of Souls it goes 1-99. I am trying to explain further why what I am saying is /interesting at all/. Largely because Mattcrampy has only played Dawn of Souls, so without some sort of reference, it would be like me telling him 'Okay, so I basically played the game entirely normally, aren't I supercool?'

Which would look even more stupid. I guess I'm Catch-22'd here?
09-20-2006 at 06:17 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I didn't misinterpret anything. You weren't clear enough, 'tis all.

Okay. I actually linked the two sentences together: "Consider that to beat garland you are expected to generally be level 3-ish on the NE version. Level 50 is an /accomplishment/", thereby making the whole thing "I've beat Garland at level 50, and I sure am proud of that".

Still. Well. What did you say about being stoopid again?
09-20-2006 at 06:54 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Dark Ages 2: Engel is a very good freeware RPG, I helped beta-test it and no it backward and forward.

Try it if you want
09-20-2006 at 10:50 PM
Mattcrampy
Oh yeah, I forgot FF1 did that. I agree that it makes the game a lot more tactical if you have to guess how many hits a monster will take before it dies.

Sadly, towards the end of the game large groups of monsters become very tedious to fight, and I can only imagine it'd be moreso if you can't just hit A four times so they'll attack on their own.

09-23-2006 at 03:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Not...especially? It took a couple extra moments to tap 'down' once or twice, and I was using 4 fighters, who didn't have area of effect spells.

Generally you stopped getting ineffectives by the first real dungeon.
09-23-2006 at 06:47 AM
Mattcrampy
I'm spoiled by Earthbound where it just doesn't even give you the fight. I'm lazy and don't want to be interrupted while I'm exploring the maze.

It's not Final fantasy, it's me. Well, okay, it's Final Fantasy too.

09-24-2006 at 03:57 AM
Banjooie
icon Re: So... all these RPGs (+2)  
This is why you will never be a real man. Why, the original FF1's Earth Dungeon, there was a loop of hallway. It didn't take you anywhere interesting, but /every single step/ was an encounter.

Edit: ...And it was in three feet of snow. Uphill. Both ways.

Edit #2: ...In pajamas!

Edit #3: Poorly made pajamas, too!

[Last edited by Banjooie at 09-24-2006 06:04 AM]
09-24-2006 at 06:03 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Did you actually traverse this hallway? Or are you just telling us about it?
09-24-2006 at 06:17 PM
Banjooie
Yeah. Yeah, I did, once. Completely by accident. D:

Largely because I figured 'My god, it's an encounter every step, surely there are treasure chests on the other side'...and then it just looped back to the main chamber and I cried.
09-24-2006 at 06:51 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Banjooie wrote:

Largely because I figured 'My god, it's an encounter every step, surely there are treasure chests on the other side'...and then it just looped back to the main chamber and I cried.
IIRC, isn't that the place where you have a 1-in-64 (or 256, depending on the version) chance per encounter of fighting some really hard monster, from which you have a 1-in-64 chance (or 256) of winning the very rare cursed shield, which you can then turn into some special Super Shield after using it in 256 fights?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-24-2006 11:08 PM]
09-24-2006 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
mrimer wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

IIRC, isn't that the place where you have a 1-in-64 (or 256, depending on the version) chance per encounter of fighting some really hard monster, from which you have a 1-in-64 chance (or 256) of winning the very rare cursed shield, which you can then turn into some special Super Shield after using it in 256 fights?

Urk
thats why I don't play RPG's. Too much probablity and chance.
09-24-2006 at 11:13 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
mrimer wrote:
Banjooie wrote:

I think you've got the Wrong Game. There's a cursed Shield in FFVI that fits your description and turns into Paladin's shield (iirc) after those fights. And it's not a random drop. There's one "hard random" in FF1 and that's the Warmech, but I don't know if it drops anything interesting.

Also, I'm not sure if it's clear, but that monster-passage should be there in every version of FFI.
09-25-2006 at 05:09 AM
Banjooie
Can't be that one, Doom, the cursed shield is got from an NPC in FF6.

There aren't any rare encounters in FF1 besides Warmech.

As for the tunnel of doom, I haven't...really played Dawn of Souls that much, I just informed my friend to get a Monk.

Which was glorious, because halfway through the game he whined 'Monks suck, why did you tell me to get one', then I asked him what he had equipped.

He told me he had really crap equipment, so I told him exactly what an FF1 monk/black belt should be equipping.

It was a glorious moment.

(If you don't know, FF1 monks should equip...)
Click here to view the secret text

But yeah, I have no clue what Mrimer's going on about, unless he's trying for some clever shenaniganical chicanery where he's making a point.
09-25-2006 at 10:54 AM
Mattcrampy
Also, I'm not sure if it's clear, but that monster-passage should be there in every version of FFI.

Indeed it is. I too traversed it, but this is because I worked out its game pretty early on and came back when I was mopping up for the bestiary. You only need to go a few steps in on either side to determine that it's nothing special.

There aren't any rare encounters in FF1 besides Warmech.

In case you're interested, I ended up filling up my bestiary to about Warmech and after about an hour wandering back and forth between floors I stopped caring.

09-26-2006 at 12:14 PM
Banjooie
Which reminds me. It was actually pretty cool how, in the NES version, it gave you the HP and stats for, like, every monster in the entire /game/ on those sheets of glossy paper.

And maps to some of the dungeons.

And the world map, with basically the order of where you should go.

...and every weapon and spell every class could equip..

Why don't games do that anymore?
09-26-2006 at 07:45 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Because now it's all in-game and shiny.

09-26-2006 at 08:42 PM
Mattcrampy
I think they should bring back feelies. Remember feelies from the Infocom games? Expensive, but if it's used as copy protection-cum-immersion as Infocom often did, well worth it.

09-27-2006 at 09:05 AM
NiroZ
Mattcrampy wrote:
I think they should bring back feelies. Remember feelies from the Infocom games? Expensive, but if it's used as copy protection-cum-immersion as Infocom often did, well worth it.
Hmmm, I'm intriged. How exactly did this work?
09-27-2006 at 09:28 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: So... all these RPGs (+2)  
NiroZ wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Hmmm, I'm intrigued. How exactly did this work?
Pictures! Shiny pictures!

The copy protection part was sometimes just an "enter code to proceed" job, but always integrated with the game and coming up only after you've already the first section of the game. For instance A Mind Forever Voyaging has a literal code-protected "restricted access" part of a computer program, in Starcross you have to enter target coordinates for your ship to fly to, in Leather Goddesses of Phobos there's a passage that will instakill you unless you perform some obscure actions that are only documented in the manual ... that sort of thing.

Other feelies were just nifty schwag that fit the theme but was irrelevant to playing the game itself, like the (totally opaque) "peril-sensitive sunglasses" or the empty plastic bag labeled "intergalactic invasion fleet", both from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
09-27-2006 at 10:05 AM
Mattcrampy
Or the paperwork from Bureaucracy, or, or...

Basically, they were little objects included with the game that often supplemented the game. Sometimes they were, as mentioned, just for immersion purposes, but sometimes they factored into puzzles and thus formed a sort of copy-protection.

I think the best way to give physical, hardcopy versions of games some value over digital distribution is to take advantage of the medium and put something real in the box. This is because I actually rather like the idea of retail chains - it gives games a presence.

09-28-2006 at 04:01 AM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : So... all these RPGs (I don't want to play them all...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com