Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (? I have!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
IP: Logged

File: problem hold.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (0)  
Try to play this room!!!
It's anyone edit so you can try playing it that way too.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Jason at 09-03-2006 04:45 PM : the file!!! :doh:]
09-03-2006 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the (0)  
What's the bug?

If you make posts on the bug forum, make them maximally informative. This isn't the place for obscurity.

09-03-2006 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (0)  
I tried to open it. It imported with out difficulty, but as soon as I clicked on the first page (Entrance 13) DROD quit.

Are you sure this isn't some kind of virus in your DROD? :w00t

Elfstone.

09-03-2006 at 06:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the (0)  
It works fine for me - Jacob, what version of DROD are you using?

09-03-2006 at 06:58 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I can import it. I can play it (Using 2.0.14). However, there's a 'dong' sound on the first move that prints the following in drod.err:

Assertion error in line 2836 of C:\Caravel\DROD17\DROD\GameScreen.cpp: "pSpeech"

Opening the room in editor reveals that 2 of the characters have unknown speech on them. This looks like the same bug as this one. The question is, how was it triggered this time: Did Jason use an older version where this had not been patched yet or is there something related that hasn't been discovered yet... More information, Jason, please.
09-03-2006 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
If you remove the scripts, everything works fine for me.
09-03-2006 at 07:27 PM
eytanz
icon Re: Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (0)  
There's also something weird about the orb associations - note that the lightning some non-door squares.

But basically, Jason needs to give more information before this is in any way useful to anyone.

09-03-2006 at 07:32 PM
Jason
Uh... Well.. I have the demo version 2.0.13 I was trying to make a room for the contest and all of a sudden, I started quiting one me!

09-03-2006 at 08:12 PM
eytanz
Ah. Then yeah, it's probably one of the bugs already fixed. I think the 2.0.14 patch works for the demo version as well but you better backup the dats first just in case.

09-03-2006 at 08:16 PM
Jason
And how do I do that?

09-03-2006 at 08:20 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (+1)  
The downloads page.

09-03-2006 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (+1)  
Are you using a PC? If so, go to the directory DROD is installed in, go to the data directory, and make copies of all the files that end in "*.dat".

If you are using Linux, you'll have to ask someone else for help. If you're using a Mac, you'll have live with the bug because there's no 2.0.14 Mac patch.

09-03-2006 at 08:23 PM
Jason
Go mac!

09-03-2006 at 08:45 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Then hold on, take a deep breath, and triple-check what you are doing. The dat files are either in the same directory as on Windows (under /path/to/DROD/data), or in a hidden directory at your home root. More accurately, the files should exist in both directories, but are only updated in one.

So, you should have a good look at ~/.caravel (using the command line, your favourite file browser, showing hidden files at your home, or anything else) and the directories contained therein. The full version uses ~/.caravel/drod-2_0 but I'm not sure about the demo. In any case, cross-check those .dat files with the other ones, and see which ones are actually updated. That's the gist of the problem, anyhow.

I gather Elfstone got bit by the decoy files, and I also felt anger and confusion when I first ran into that problem (the drod.ini file I was modifying was straight overlooked until I found out about the other drod.ini lying around).
09-03-2006 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
It won't matter, because he has the latest version for a Mac. He can't solve the bug, he just has to work around it - I think he should remove this room, export the hold, delete the hold, re-import it, and rebuild the room from scratch. I don't think he has a better way of dealing with this, unfortunately.

09-03-2006 at 08:56 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
eytanz wrote:
It won't matter, because he has the latest version for a Mac.

Okay, let me switch that oblivious mode off. Someone, please slap me.
09-03-2006 at 09:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
:bangin :twak
There you go.

09-04-2006 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Alneyan wrote
I gather Elfstone got bit by the decoy files.

Oh, most decidedly! :~(

In fact, not just bitten; rather I was well and truly munched on, chewed up and spat out!! :w00t

And I have to say it was not the most pleasant experience of my life. I lost all of my 25 or so completed DROD games; I cried a little bit :weep and mumped for several days.

So the moral is: don't touch .dat files unless you have a degree in Electrical-Multimechanical-Applied-Analytical-Quantam-Mathematical-Computer-Engineering, with First Class Honours in a fairly esoteric branch of Physics!!!

(as many of the clever people on this site seem to ;) )

Elf.

09-04-2006 at 09:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
eytanz wrote:
Ah. Then yeah, it's probably one of the bugs already fixed. I think the 2.0.14 patch works for the demo version as well but you better backup the dats first just in case.
No, unless you have the linux version, Jason, you have to back up all 4 DAT's, and then download the demo version of DROD(hoping that it contains the latest patch, which is usually a week or so after its released :angry, and reinstall it, then replace the new DAT's with the backup DAT's
09-05-2006 at 10:38 AM
eytanz
What's with people responding to particular posts above while ignoring others? He has the Mac version, he cannot upgrade.

09-05-2006 at 12:51 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
eytanz wrote:
What's with people responding to particular posts above while ignoring others? He has the Mac version, he cannot upgrade.
:blush my bad.

its called visiting a thread several times, and only reading the new posts
09-07-2006 at 06:00 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Have you ever made a DROD room that is so difficult, DROD quits whenever you try to go play the room (? I have!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com