Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : secret rooms in JtRH
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
xramer
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
IP: Logged
icon secret rooms in JtRH (0)  
Um ... I can't seem to post on the Hints board, so I'm hoping here will be ok. I've completed the game and now going back to find all the secret rooms and have lost a goodly part of my brain trying to wrap my head around the restore interface. My question: Levels Eight and Ten say they still have secret rooms for me to find. Well, L8, I can see that nasty blue door but it's so contrived that I can't get it to drop. And L10 ... I heard the rumour that the entry point is in L12. Why must I reconquer rooms I've forgotten about? Can't I get my ugly stunt-double to do that for me? Why isn't there a 'Honestly, Ive done this room really I'm just looking for the secret room' option on the restore screen ... help would be appreciated ... sigh

08-29-2006 at 03:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Canadian_Army
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
icon Re: secret rooms in JtRH (0)  
For level 8: Complete all rooms then backtrack (dont restore) to the blue door

I think you may have to backtrack trough a level, but keep going!

08-29-2006 at 03:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
xramer
It's just not working for me. Level 8 is so constructed so as to make this very task impossible. I could be more specific, but the orbs, force arrows, slayer, room layout and (I'm sorry but it's true) badly designed restore interface all conspire against me. It kinda puts me in a place where I'm battling something other than the game. Something bigger, perhaps, something more devious ...

must ... lie ... down ...

08-29-2006 at 03:52 PM
Chaco
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3623
There aren't any places where you can't backtrack, except for the room in which you first meet the Slayer. After that, it should be fairly obvious where to go... in the places where the blue doors were.

[Last edited by Chaco at 08-29-2006 04:14 PM]
08-29-2006 at 04:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
xramer
Well ... the blue door on L8 was in 4S. Due to orb placement, I have to access it through a tunnel via 3S, which in turn comes from a tunnel via 2S, which also has a bunch of blue doors in it. To restore to 2S means there are greyed-out rooms in the restore interface, getting that terribly ambiguous notice "You can always restore from a more recent game later to avoid having to reconquer the same rooms again" which I still can't for the life of me figure out what it really means ... right now it seems that it means I'll have to REDO rooms regardless. The last room completed on my restore options (giving me dropped blue doors) was 4S2E which doesn't give me access to 2S. Ergo, I can't backtrack. I really, really, really don't want to have to reconquer rooms like 3S (the annoyance/anger factor even though I have victory demos), but it looks like I'm gonna have to if I want to get to the dreamplane. Or am I missing something in the restore interface?

08-29-2006 at 04:47 PM
jjohn7418
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 161
I'm sure that the levels were designed so you can reach the area where the blue doors were, I say were because they would be gone if you cleared all of the required rooms, without having to use the restore function. Maybe you just need to restore to the last completed room and backtrack your way to where you need to be. You DON'T want to restore and have to complete rooms again, that can be frustrating. Hope this helps, I'm not at home, so I can't be more specific for that level. ;)

08-29-2006 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
xramer
icon Re: secret rooms in JtRH (+1)  
So yes, I found 'em (post and ye shall find, huh), and I'm onto the dreamplane. The restore interface still confuses the bejesus outta me as it seems indiscriminate as to when it'll restore to a conquered or non-conquered version of the room (it's about those save points and direction of entry into a room). Add the pink 'non-essential' to the mix, which appears to be a euphemism for 'either/or', and the ensuing logical mess cries out to be redesigned. Meanwhile, I'm getting the handwriting samples in the dreamplane sent off to a criminal graphologist ...

08-29-2006 at 09:50 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The essential/non-essential status of a room does not affect the save system.

The system is pretty complex, but it works as follows:

Restore will either take you to the room entrance or to a checkpoint. Regardless of what you restore to, all the other rooms return to the state they were in at the time the save was made.

If it restores to room entrance, it will restore to the last time you entered this room when it was unsolved.

If it restores to a checkpoint, it will restore to the last time you stepped on that checkpoint. This is independent of room state (which can be solved or unsolved), and of other checkpoints. This is where confusion can really come in.

Imagine the following: a three room hold, call the rooms 1, 2, and 3. Room 1 has two checkpoints (A and B) in it, and no monsters. Rooms 2 and 3 are both accessible from room 1 and have monsters in them.

First, you step on checkpoint A. This saves the game in its current state (rooms 2 and 3 unsolved). Then, solve room 2, return to room 1 and step on checkpoint B. Now, go to the restore screen and restore to checkpoint A. This restores the state at the time of the save - both rooms unsolved. Now, solve room 3 and return and step on checkpoint A again. At this point, restoring to checkpoint B will mean that room 2 is solved and room 3 is unsolved, while restoring to checkpoint A means that room 2 is unsolved and room 3 solved.

One final element to the confusion is that, for the purpose of dropping master doors, it doesn't matter what the state of a secret room currently is - all that matters is that you solved it once. If you then restore to a state in which it is unsolved that makes no difference.

08-29-2006 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3623
Well, actually, that last bit is essential - the Dreamplane is on level 13 and you can't backtrack to it from level 24. Since you have to restore to the Dreamplane, the level 24 room is then undone in that state, but it still counts as solved for the purposes of dropping the Master Doors.

08-30-2006 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
You know what would be neat? If the restore screen would show secrets rooms using a special icon overlaid on the map, and have that coloured depending on whether it was completed or not. If the secret star is red, you've gotta get to it and complete it, but if it's white, then you've solved it, no matter what happens later in the level.

Man, so many people have trouble with the layout of level 8. Does this mean I win?

08-30-2006 at 09:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Azsedcf
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 27
Level 8 was not so bad. It took me a while to figure it out. However, it was not as bad as level 10. I have checked all the rooms in this blasted tar level and only have to find one last secret until I can go on. From the first black door room I have the NE and SE secret rooms. I need a hint please. Even a general direction would do wonders.

EDIT: Sorry about doing this but I forgot about using the search. :frusty

[Last edited by Azsedcf at 10-05-2006 12:22 AM]
10-05-2006 at 12:14 AM
eytanz
Azsedcf wrote:
Level 8 was not so bad. It took me a while to figure it out. However, it was not as bad as level 10. I have checked all the rooms in this blasted tar level and only have to find one last secret until I can go on. From the first black door room I have the NE and SE secret rooms. I need a hint please. Even a general direction would do wonders.

EDIT: Sorry about doing this but I forgot about using the search. :frusty

I'm not sure whether your edit means you found it or not. If not, then:

Click here to view the secret text

10-05-2006 at 12:42 AM
starwed
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 49
Ok, this is driving me crazy. I've found and finished almost all the secret rooms in JtRH. But I can't find how to get to the one on level 19.

There's an obvious place for it (2 West), but no matter how hard I look, I can't find any entrance to it on that level. I've explored 100% on all other levels, and I've even gone through clearing tar on other levels, in case there was a hidden staircase.

So to save my sanity, I have to ask for at least this hint (and this thread seemed the place to do so): is the entrance on level 19, or do I have to look for it on another level?
02-08-2007 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
The entrance is on level 19.

02-08-2007 at 10:38 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : secret rooms in JtRH
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com