Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : H&S: Multiple threads (Statistics page)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
IP: Logged
icon H&S: Multiple threads (0)  
Right now, the H&S statistics page lists 584 hint topics for KDD. However, I beleive that this is unfairly skewed because of the fact that many rooms had multiple topics before the invention of the hint search system. So why does the statistics page count multiple topics for the same room? For instance, the 12-room level 25 has no less than 29 threads dedicated to it.

[Last edited by coppro at 08-09-2006 05:03 PM]
08-09-2006 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: H&S: Multiple threads (0)  
because it's just a literal report of the number of threads, with no attempt made to categorize them (which would involve a lot of programming for a return of dubious value)... it should also be pointed out before the hint search system, threads were not attached to any hold, and thus are either all assumed to be about KDD, or else ignored in the "threads per hold" page. I'm unsure which, but it hardly matters.

[Last edited by silver at 08-09-2006 06:48 PM]
08-09-2006 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Actually, I'm pretty sure old threads *are* attached to the current system. KDD has some poorly named threads for specific rooms (the "23 1N1W" kind), with a couple other holds also getting such threads. I know I've found some threads only by using the Hint system, instead of sticking to the "manual" search, so they do exist.

It might be possible to count individual threads by checking whether the particular room has more than one thread going with it, and drop the duplicates. I'm not sure I see the use of that, though. Measuring threads is a rough estimate at best, so counting posts would be better if you sought a finer estimate... but again, I doubt slightly more accurate statistics would matter much here.
08-09-2006 at 06:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
That's correct. I know that when the search system was added, they manually assigned the rooms for all the previous threads.
08-09-2006 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : H&S: Multiple threads (Statistics page)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com