Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Have I gone deaf??
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Elfstone
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1285
IP: Logged
icon Re: Have I gone deaf?? (0)  
Hikari wrote:
Jeebus, I *knew* I should've been paying attention in here... Elfstone, did you back up your .dat files or just the program? It's the .dat files that store the holds and your player file and everything...

Hmm. I'll see if I can duplicate what happened there.

I copied the entire Drod folder. If I control-click the actual DROD icon and go to 'show package contents' that's where the .ini files and .dat files and everything is, so I must have copied them?

:weep

08-10-2006 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Have I gone deaf?? (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
Hikari wrote:
Jeebus, I *knew* I should've been paying attention in here... Elfstone, did you back up your .dat files or just the program? It's the .dat files that store the holds and your player file and everything...

Hmm. I'll see if I can duplicate what happened there.

I copied the entire Drod folder. If I control-click the actual DROD icon and go to 'show package contents' that's where the .ini files and .dat files and everything is, so I must have copied them?

:weep

I think that what was mentioned earlier is correct - the demo and full versions store the files seperately. Also, you need to go to that directory that you had to get rid of that Erik mentioned and put them there in order to get the data back.
08-10-2006 at 09:55 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
coppro wrote:
I think that what was mentioned earlier is correct - the demo and full versions store the files seperately. Also, you need to go to that directory that you had to get rid of that Erik mentioned and put them there in order to get the data back.

I have no idea how to do that. :( This was the first time I've done anything with Terminal.

I have lost it all, haven't I? No magic wand. :weep

08-10-2006 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Elfstone wrote:
coppro wrote:

I have no idea how to do that. :( This was the first time I've done anything with Terminal.

I have lost it all, haven't I? No magic wand. :weep

Well, what command was it? I'm hoping I know enough about this to be able to figure things out. (I probably don't, and I don't happend to have a Mac handy)
08-10-2006 at 10:23 PM
Elfstone
coppro wrote:
Well, what command was it? I'm hoping I know enough about this to be able to figure things out. (I probably don't, and I don't happend to have a Mac handy)

Thanks coppro. I'm sorry to make such a fuss, but this is grim; I know its just a game, but it saw me through the difficult time when I was in the throes of my illness back in March/April and doing all these Holds kept me sane. I just hate the thought of having lost all of them. :weep

I had to issue
rm -rf ~/.caravel/drod-2_0
from a Terminal window.

Elf.

08-10-2006 at 10:29 PM
Elfstone
Ezlo wrote:
That always stinks, not matter who it happens too. It happend to Pilchard a litte while ago in fact, I can do the same for you what I did for him, I'll send you my player file which has around 30 or so finished holds, (albeit different then yours most likely) but it's a start to rebuilding what you have.

This includes JTRH, KDD, Perfection, Beethro's Teacher and others finished.

Ezlo, I'm so sorry! I was so upset at what has happened that I forgot to thank you for your very kind offer That is a very generous gesture, but I somehow think that having someone else's stats will not feel the same.

I have to accept that I've done something very stupid along the way and as I did it, whatever it was, the consequences are mine to suffer.

It's daft being so upset about a game, but it was hours of work and . . . well, I'm upset. :weep

Elf.

08-10-2006 at 10:55 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
:facepalms:

Um... at least they're still finished in your online high scores?

This would be why I'm so glad that for some strange reason, DROD put the files in a visible location on my system.

The problem with removing things using Terminal is that there's no chance to undo, it doesn't go to the trash, it's just... gone :(

But, um... look on the bright side, with the exception of Level 13 that I don't think anyone really enjoys, you get to enjoy playing through KDD again if you want?

There's a reason Apple makes it so users have to go out of the way to get to the command line...

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-10-2006 11:03 PM]
08-10-2006 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Elfstone wrote:
coppro wrote:

Thanks coppro. I'm sorry to make such a fuss, but this is grim; I know its just a game, but it saw me through the difficult time when I was in the throes of my illness back in March/April and doing all these Holds kept me sane. I just hate the thought of having lost all of them. :weep

I had to issue
rm -rf ~/.caravel/drod-2_0
from a Terminal window.

Elf.

I've had a similar problem.

Okay, open your HD, then type in "~/.caravel/drod-2_0" into the address bar (assuming there is an address bar, been so long since I used a Mac). That's where your data goes. (I hope)

[Last edited by coppro at 08-10-2006 11:04 PM]
08-10-2006 at 11:02 PM
Hikari
Umm... coppro? I think the problem here is that it sounds like she *didn't* back up her actual data before this whole thing started, so when she used the rm command, she didn't have it backed up *to* put back in there.

08-10-2006 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'm joining this thread late, but there is no way you can have lost your progress if you backed up your files as you said above. I too know little about Macs but know enough about the Linux-style structure.

Whatever you do, keep your backup on your key. If posting doesn't help, Ill call you (Im in London) and we will sort this out. In the meantime, I'll let the pro's give their advice.
08-10-2006 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Hikari wrote:
Umm... coppro? I think the problem here is that it sounds like she *didn't* back up her actual data before this whole thing started, so when she used the rm command, she didn't have it backed up *to* put back in there.

I think that the problem is that that DROD actually keeps your dats in a different place on macs. Highly confusing, but it seems to have been the problem in the past. When she reinstalled, her progress didn't change, right? Once she deleted the folder and reinstalled, it did. However, when she did that, she backed up to the wrong place - not the place where she deleted the folder (where the dats were being read from), but the other location, wherever that may be.
08-10-2006 at 11:30 PM
Elfstone

File: Picture 1.jpg (409.1 KB)
Downloaded 31 times.
License: Public Domain
I'm very gratedful to you all for supporting me through this mess.

If I open DROD on my pen drive and click Show Package Contents>Contents>Resources>Data and open data.dat I get a huge page of what looks like complete gobbledygook to me (see that attached image). Is that helpful?

Elf.

[Last edited by Elfstone at 08-10-2006 11:42 PM : didn't attach!]
08-10-2006 at 11:38 PM
coppro
Elfstone wrote:
I'm very gratedful to you all for supporting me through this mess.

If I open DROD on my pen drive and click Show Package Contents>Contents>Resources>Data and open data.dat I get a huge page of what looks like complete gobbledygook to me (see that attached image). Is that helpful?

Elf.

Well, not really. DROD data is, IIRC, encrypted and compressed, so opening it up won't help you. Try a search of your computer for all instances of data.dat. If there's an option to include hidden files, turn it on. What I'm pretty sure you need to do is back up to that directory.
08-10-2006 at 11:51 PM
Hikari
The data.dat within DROD.app doesn't actually get changed at all. I think it's just there as a backup in case things go horribly wrong and you need a quick fix >_<

The only two places I know of that a Mac can have those files stored are ~/.caravel/drod-2_0 and ~/Library/Application Support/caravel/drod-2_0 ... That Terminal command killed the first one, but the other might still have Elfstone's files in it.

08-11-2006 at 12:46 AM
coppro
Hikari wrote:
The data.dat within DROD.app doesn't actually get changed at all. I think it's just there as a backup in case things go horribly wrong and you need a quick fix >_<

The only two places I know of that a Mac can have those files stored are ~/.caravel/drod-2_0 and ~/Library/Application Support/caravel/drod-2_0 ... That Terminal command killed the first one, but the other might still have Elfstone's files in it.

Your solving the wrong problem. Elfstone still has the backups, but she just doesn't know how to actually replace them.
08-11-2006 at 12:53 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Well, it seems to me that it's unclear whether or not she actually backuped the right thing to begin with. One possible scenario is that she made a backup of the wrong files, then copied that backup over the up-to-date files.

I'm hoping that's not the case, but I think that's what Hikari suspects.

08-11-2006 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hikari
Actually, what I'm suspecting is that she backed up the wrong files, then without knowing for sure what was going on, *deleted* the up-to-date ones with that rm command.

[Last edited by Hikari at 08-11-2006 01:45 AM]
08-11-2006 at 01:45 AM
Elfstone
Good morning everyone. I'm sorry I disappeared so abruptly last night; just to add to the general joy, my ISP started acting up and having been disconnected at the end of a two hour slot, I couldn't reconnect because the number kept ringing 'engaged'. By that time it was after midnight and I couldn't think straight any more anyway.

Having 'slept on it', as they say, I am trying to be more philosphical about this, but it is very disheartening to think that I have lost all those hours and hours of work.

Hikari said somewhere further up the page,
"Um... at least they're still finished in your online high scores?"
- ah well you see the thing is, my scores online were far from accurate. You may remember I was involved in a couple of threads about that very fact and it was something to do with a missing patch. For instance "Entrapment" is sitting near the top of the 'Unexplored Holds' list; in fact I had completed that one. On line scores didn't accept that I had completed KDD, but I promise you I had. There are lots of inaccuracies.

I have to go into work this morning - 1st Term starts on Monday and I've been doing a lot of prep this week. I'll be home this afternoon and I'll maybe have another go at thinking this through and reading anything useful that I can find in the Missing Manual book. I will leave the "back up" copy on my pen drive meantime.

Thanks again.

Elf.

08-11-2006 at 08:26 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Elfstone wrote:
Having 'slept on it', as they say, I am trying to be more philosphical about this, but it is very disheartening to think that I have lost all those hours and hours of work.
Several posts ago, Michthro said "Export your player and put it in a safe place." - did you happen to do that?

If so, and if you still have the exported file, you should be able to get everything back...

08-11-2006 at 09:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Hang on. Elfstone, you did export your player not so long ago. Remember this? Please tell me you still have that player file.
Hikari wrote:

Elfstone copied the DROD folder - i.e. she only has the .dats in DROD.app on her pen drive - and then deleted another folder with the rm command, without backing it up, which is where things went wrong. So the only hope is a player file or the ~/Library/Application Support/caravel/drod-2_0 directory.
08-11-2006 at 10:35 AM
Elfstone
Briareos wrote:
Several posts ago, Michthro said "Export your player and put it in a safe place." - did you happen to do that?

If so, and if you still have the exported file, you should be able to get everything back...

Hmm but this also happened a couple of days ago:

Elfstone wrote:
A quick question before I plunge into radical surgery on DROD: if I am going to copy the entire DROD folder (onto my pen drive) and then delete everything, do I have to do the export player thing and backing up of dats?

No, backing up the folder will be enough. You can just extract the .dats from there, and your progress will be backed up anyway.

Please don't think I'm blaming anyone in posting that, but I followed that instruction. I realise that this is all born of my own ignorance of the workings of computers.

All that I have is what's on the pen drive.

Elf.

08-11-2006 at 02:32 PM
Elfstone
michthro wrote:
Hang on. Elfstone, you did export your player not so long ago. Remember this? Please tell me you still have that player file.

Yes I remember and no I don't have it. :weep

When I had my first computer, which only had 127b of RAM, I got into the habit of deleting everything that I didn't need to keep and defragging the Hard Drive regularly (music software is very greedy of memory). So that file was deleted almost immediately when I had finished with it.

Elf.

08-11-2006 at 02:37 PM
Elfstone
I have Norton Utiities, which has Unerase as part of it. I have not used Unerase before, but it seemed sensible to give it a go, but unfortunately it isn't working (why does nothing ever just work!!!! :w00t ).

In another attempt to put turn the clock back, I have visited the Apple Discussion Forums, which I have used in the past and found very helpful - full of people who know Macs inside out! I have asked for advice on file recovery and await replies.

Elf.

08-11-2006 at 03:55 PM
Elfstone
Well, I've drawn a blank with Norton Utilities, it doesn't work because it is not compatible with OS 10. Apparently Norton stopped upgrading things for macs a couple of years back.

Someone on the Apple forums site suggested something called Data Rescue II, but on googling that I've discoverd that it will cost me $100 !! (which is around £80 I think) and I can't justify spending so much money on this.

So I'm stuck in this mess, :weep unless anyone else has any other suggestions. ( I still have all that I copied on the pen drive.)

Elf.

08-12-2006 at 12:00 AM
coppro
Elfstone wrote:
Well, I've drawn a blank with Norton Utilities, it doesn't work because it is not compatible with OS 10. Apparently Norton stopped upgrading things for macs a couple of years back.

Someone on the Apple forums site suggested something called Data Rescue II, but on googling that I've discoverd that it will cost me $100 !! (which is around £80 I think) and I can't justify spending so much money on this.

So I'm stuck in this mess, :weep unless anyone else has any other suggestions. ( I still have all that I copied on the pen drive.)

Elf.

Did you try what I said? Find the dats in the ~/.caravel/drod2_0 folder and replace those. I think that's your best/only bet (mainly because even if you did recover the other data files, you'd have to put them there)
08-12-2006 at 12:05 AM
Hikari
Umm... Coppro? I *think* she already deleted the .dats that were there before, without backing them up...

I'll do some searching around for you, Elfstone... I seem to recall having found a good free data recovery tool a few months back when my laptop's hard drive failed that helped me get my DROD data back without having to do three month's worth (at the time) of rooms all over again.

08-12-2006 at 02:56 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Elfstone wrote:

Elf.
Not even a free trail? ouch.
maybe try wikipedia for undelete programs.

Anyway, while your sort of stuck with your backups, maybe you should do a clean install of DROD into a different directory and see if you can get the sound working, if you haven't done that already.
08-12-2006 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
My thanks again to all of you fro trying to help.

Coppro: "Find the dats in the ~/.caravel/drod2_0 folder and replace those." can you give me step by step instructions for that? I'm terrified of doing something that will make matters worse for DROD or indeed mess up my computer in the process. Given that my only jaunt into Terminal has turned into such a disaster, I'm very wary of going there again.

Hikari: "I'll do some searching around for you, Elfstone... I seem to recall having found a good free data recovery tool a few months back " Thanks it would be wonderfull if you could find something I can use.

NiroZ: "maybe you should do a clean install of DROD into a different directory and see if you can get the sound working, if you haven't done that already." I will try that if you think it might work, but again I have to ask how? What is "a different directory"?

I'm going to look back through the recent posts and give mod points to all you good people; I should have done that right away, of course, but I was distracted.

Elfstone.

08-12-2006 at 10:35 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Elfstone wrote:
NiroZ: "maybe you should do a clean install of DROD into a different directory and see if you can get the sound working, if you haven't done that already." I will try that if you think it might work, but again I have to ask how? What is "a different directory"?
Elfstone, no, don't mess around with anything else now. The sound is the least of your problems. You shouldn't install any other software or copy files to your hard drive. When you get hold of a data recovery tool, it should ideally be as small as possible. The reason is that when you delete a file, it isn't really deleted. Only it's index entry is deleted. You can think of it as a book with a table of contents. When you delete something, only the entry in the table of contents is deleted. The actual information is still there. However, the place on your disk where it is stored immediately becomes available for other files to be written to. So the idea is to hope that that space is not used, and with a little luck it won't be, but the more you write to the disk the more likely it becomes that it will be used, and those deleted files will be overwritten. So try not to write to the disk. You can't avoid it completely, but the less you write, the better the chances of recovering your files.
08-12-2006 at 11:35 AM
Elfstone
michthro wrote:
[ Elfstone, no, don't mess around with anything else now.

Probably sensible advice - thanks michthro.

Elf.

08-12-2006 at 11:48 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Have I gone deaf??
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com