Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Sword Force Arrows (Difficult)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Timo006
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 518
IP: Logged
icon Sword Force Arrows (0)  
I was having this idea in bed but...

What about a new sort of force arrows that counts for your sword.
So that jou can set your sword in three different directions, and that it can be combinated with "normal" Force Arrows, think abouit the good use of it!!The new puzzles!! :thumbsup

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-08-2006 10:08 AM]
08-08-2006 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Sword Force Arrows (0)  
You can achieve that with a few orbs and gates (A Quiet Place does that a lot, among other holds). Force the player to put a mimic somewhere, and surround said area with orbs that will close the exit if struck. That way, the player cannot go around swinging the sword around without getting stuck. You can prevent any sword turning or allow some sword orientations with this sort of scheme.

I think this way is *much* clearer and more useful, as it can be used in virtually any room. That, and force arrows seem tricky enough as it stands now.
08-08-2006 at 10:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
Not really, I am now playing a Hold with that sort of mechanism but I do often forget that I may not turn my sword. But on the Sword Arrows, it will be impossible to even try to turn your sword in the wrong direction.

08-08-2006 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Sword Force Arrows (+1)  
A quick search for "sword arrows" on the Feature Requests board reveal pretty much the same thing suggested over 3 years ago...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-08-2006 at 12:50 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Timo006 wrote:
Not really, I am now playing a Hold with that sort of mechanism but I do often forget that I may not turn my sword. But on the Sword Arrows, it will be impossible to even try to turn your sword in the wrong direction.

If there's no story to get in the way, you can use bombs, a mimic, and halph for much the same effect, but instead of making the room unsolvable turning the sword will kill you, which means that you can't forget about it and do some more moves before remembering to undo.

08-08-2006 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Come to think about it, there might be *some* use to sword arrows, since they would also affect sword-wielding monsters. I can't see much of a puzzle potential for that, though (it might come in handy in a few situations for heavy guard manipulation, but that would be all).

Orthogonal squares were more useful since they do affect all monsters, and not just one particular kind like sword arrows would, while also being more fundamental.
08-08-2006 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Sword Force Arrows (Difficult)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com