Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : What about Nethack?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hitchhiker
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon What about Nethack? (0)  
Hey all, in my previous post, I talked about Nethack. What I'm wondering about now is:

Does anyone by any means play Nethack, the glorious, complex and insanely difficult ASCII RPG?

Personally, I love it. Sure, I have never ascended and keep on dying, no matter if I'm a lesbian Valkyrie or a Barbarian. My pets usually die on Level 4 or 5 and the deepest Level I've ever reached was 14. Nevertheless, it's a great game. I love the complexity and the sheer endless possibilities. If you have ever killed a cockatrice with a looking glass while a towel was wrapped around your head you'll know what I mean.

I could go on and on, but what I'd like to know is...does anyone play it? :D

Oh, and if you do, what do you think of it? Any good stories around?

[Edited by Hitchhiker on 07-30-2003 at 11:39 AM]

[Edited by Hitchhiker on 07-30-2003 at 11:39 AM]

Favourite Level so far: The Labyrinth on Level 13.
07-30-2003 at 11:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: What about Nethack? (0)  
I think I posted about this on another topic, but I will repeat a little bit here. If I had "found" Nethack when I was in my impressionable years, I am sure that I would have loved it. But I just can't get into it now, with so many other games out there. I admit that Nethack and its derivatives are unparalled in terms of complexity, but I just don't want to learn that much stuff for a game any more. If I had played when I was 12, I would have had reams of notes on the game, and would have been in nerd heaven. Now, I just want something simple but fun.

For the record, I don't even really want to try the ASCII versions. I only tried the Falcon's Eye (I think that is what it is called) front end, which from what I can tell is the exact same game just with better graphics. I've also tried Castle of the Winds and Kharne: the Revelation recently, and just died to quickly and too often to have it be enjoyable. I like a gradual scaling of the difficulty, not surviving only by pure luck. On the other hand, I just recently almost beat Excelsior, a game which has the same level of graphics as Ultima IV. It just isn't the same kind of RPG as Nethack etc., which is why I was willing to play it so much.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-30-2003 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241

File: Bills.zip (14.7 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: What about Nethack? (0)  
I love Nethack. I've had it for about a year now. I'm about like Hitchhiker. The farthest I've ever gotten was level 13.

The thing that makes Nethack so fun is all the things you can do. Yes, it does make it so its takes a little while to learn, but it makes the replay value very high. I've had it for a year or so now, and I still play it pretty often (I'm still bad at it though).

All in all, if you have the patience to learn all the commands, and how to play it and such, then get this game. If you like rouge-likes, its the way to go.

Funny stories about Nethack? Oh I have too many to count so I'll name a few funny deaths.

-I slipped off a saddled pony while trying to mount it and died.

-I fell in a pit with a ball and chain on my leg and the ball fell on my head and killed me.

-I was killed by a housecat.

-I put on some cursed boots of levitation and couldn't reach any food so I starved to death.

-I fell down a pit onto a unicorn that repeatedly rammed me into a wall.

There's some other funny ones, but I don't have time to type them all.

Happy Nethacking.

[Edited by Zmann on 08-07-2003 at 07:29 PM]

[Last edited by Zmann at 01-06-2006 07:03 AM]
08-07-2003 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : What about Nethack?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com