Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Musing at an 8th Grade Level. (Our News for August.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Musing at an 8th Grade Level. (0)  
There are a number of gameplay patterns that I wish showed up in life more often. Because then all the time I've spent playing and thinking about games would be more useful. In this imagined world, my gaming prowess would make me King. People would come to me every day with problems to solve. Sometimes I would help them out of kindness, but mostly I would charge lots of money and get rich.

I like this certain style of execution. It goes in three steps:

1. Look at a situation carefully and learn everything you need to know about it, i.e. a guy you hate always goes to lunch at a certain restaurant and arrives each day at noon precisely.
2. Set some things up to take advantage of that situation, i.e. you put a banana peel on the ground in front of the restaurant door at 11:59am.
3. Wait and watch as events are affected by your earlier setup, i.e. the guy you hate slips on the banana peel and falls on his butt.

Does anything like this ever work in real life? No, not really. You can't be some mastermind that predicts all the chaotic events in the world such that a small amount of elegant preparation will ensure the outcome you want. In real life, you know little with certainty, so most of your behavior is an immediate reaction to the latest news. I.e. You've just been given a ticket by a police officer for leaving your banana peel on the ground, to which you react by getting angry and saying you will fight that ticket. Yeah, you'll get the best legal defense money can buy.

Not to say there aren't plans made that come through as expected. You can plant some seeds and find a tree ten years later, sure. But wouldn't it be cool to put something really complicated into motion, and then just watch it all come to pass exactly as you envisioned? Forget the slipping on the banana peel thing even. What I really want to happen is something more impressive like...

You give the banana to your neighbor who is a construction worker, he eats his lunch with the banana at the top of a skyscraper, drops the banana peel several stories to the ground at 11:59am in front of that restaurant, the guy you hate almost slips on the banana peel but instead picks it up and tries to throw it away, but the trashcan next to him is full, so he walks to a dumpster in a nearby alley and chucks the peel in there, which lands on a sleeping bum, who wakes up and is so disgusted by the banana peel that he stands up and vomits on the guy you hate.

And this is all exactly what you planned to happen, because you are just that brilliant. So obviously, nothing works like this in real life, but in computer games... well, that is a different story!

Snakes! ...to the Death

You know, if I wanted to brag, I could say that I made a MMOG in about a week. And I did sorta, with a little help from Schik, make an online game which hundreds of people can play simultaneously over the net. It's rough around the edges, but it works, and the idea behind it is unique. I wouldn't bother to tell you if I had just made a low-rent clone of World of Warcraft, after all.

I'm inviting you to join in a multiplayer puzzle game about snakes. You get to control one of these snakes and guide it to safe spaces. The snake moves at the astonishingly slow speed of 5 feet every 2 hours, which gives you plenty of time to predict future events and plan your snake's movements.

This is a contest that will begin on Saturday, August 12th. I want you to enter it! Take a look at the particulars, and maybe encourage a friend to join in as well.

Contest Info

Is Hunger Emotional?

Jamie Cheng of Klei Entertainment asserts that hunger is indeed emotional in the title of his game, which is called "Eets: Hunger. It's Emotional". Have you played Eets, yet? The game is getting a lot of well-deserved attention. After I tried out Eets and was suitably impressed, I cut a deal with Jamie for Caravel to carry the game on our site. The game is another example of this pattern I am talking about: Look at the situation, set things up to produce an outcome, and watch as events unfold. Here you are solving puzzles by placing elements like whales and pigs on the screen. The well-animated graphics remind me of Cartoon Network's Samurai Jack, and there's a lot of lovable wackiness to it all.

I asked Jamie if he could do anything special for the DROD players, and he really came through! If you purchase a copy of *Eets* before September 1st, 2006, you can get a bonus collection of 12 extra *Eets* levels that has yet to be released anyplace else. In fact, Jamie put these levels together especially for DROD players. To pick up the dozen bonus levels from Jamie, just e-mail him at drodfans@eetsgame.com with your order#. Be sure to send him the e-mail before September 1st.

You can learn more about the game and download a generously long demo at the link below:

Game Info

Topic Picks for August

People will ask you if you've kept up on the Caravel Forum. And of course, it's painfully embarrassing to answer that you haven't. So at least read the Cliff's Notes to get the gist of it.

Beethro's Last Job
People wrote a bunch of stories about Beethro's final job before retirement. As I write this, they are all about to be released.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11252

Who's Been Seeding the Joint?
A kitten with an carved apple helmet launches deep inquiries into the causes of dungeon seeding.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=10541

Kooley Got a New Brick
Have we reached that Star Trekian point in our community where any fictional loose end, no matter how trivial, demands resolution?
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11467

Digital Art Journey
Many people pointed out my artistic mistakes and greatly improved the finished piece.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11263

war11, Blue Rooms, Magic Show, School, Dimitris' Deadly Dungeon, KPVIID2 : Return to the spire
These are all the new holds (level collections) that have been released since the last newsletter. King Pilchard VIII has settled on a naming convention even more weirdly cumbersome than DROD's.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewboard.php?BoardID=11

Hold Battles
Pilchard seems to have come up with an interesting competition.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=10581

Google Me This
Look at a topdown image of anyplace in the world and figure out where it is. The Eiffel Tower is easy, but Mike Rimer's house is really hard.
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=11153

I was a bit short on time and neglected to pick a Don't Ask and You Shall Receive winner this month. Next month, I'll pick out two!

-Erik

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-18-2008 05:42 AM]
08-07-2006 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Musing at an 8th Grade Level. (0)  
Hm? I didn't get the Illumination by mail yet. I checked my e-mail address, and it was right (I'm using Hotmail, not Verizon). I'll check tonight and see if I got it.

Keep posting,

08-07-2006 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
UrAvgAzn wrote:
Hm? I didn't get the Illumination by mail yet. I checked my e-mail address, and it was right (I'm using Hotmail, not Verizon). I'll check tonight and see if I got it.
Then the new Trickle Queue is working. There are probably a TON of hotmail accounts on the mailing list, so it will take quite a while to get this out to all of them.

08-07-2006 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
ErikH2000 wrote: I.e. You've just been given a ticket by a police officer for leaving your banana peel on the ground, to which you react by getting angry and saying you will fight that ticket. Yeah, you'll get the best legal defense money can buy.

:-O , you get arrested for leaving banana peels on the ground? Gee wizz, things must be tough over there :P .
08-07-2006 at 01:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Schik wrote:
Then the new Trickle Queue is working. There are probably a TON of hotmail accounts on the mailing list, so it will take quite a while to get this out to all of them.

For what it's worth, I haven't got the Illumination in my mailbox either. My address is the only one subscribed on the Illumination on the whole of the domain (no trickling here), but it is hosted on the 1&1 servers (that might be a factor).
08-07-2006 at 01:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
My email arrived at 11.00 this morning (that's BST).

Elfstone. :)

08-07-2006 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaco
Rank Points: 3626
I received the email at my yahoo.com email address today (at what time I don't know though).

I have, indeed, planned things out like this, only to have other things happen and get in the way. I am so sympathetic. :?

08-07-2006 at 03:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
I received my email at Local Time:04-25-2024 at 01:40 PM, on Gmail.
08-07-2006 at 03:49 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Alright, who still didn't get their e-mail? ...that isn't on Verizon? Jeremy, you still got no Illumination message to your Hotmail account? Also, check your spam filters, buckets, and other receptacles.

It took about 3 hours to deliver all the message, by the way.

-Erik

08-08-2006 at 02:28 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Musing at an 8th Grade Level. (+1)  
Just checked, and I got it. Yeah, it was my Hotmail.

Keep posting,

08-08-2006 at 02:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
NiroZ wrote:
:-O , you get arrested for leaving banana peels on the ground? Gee wizz, things must be tough over there :P .
Not arrested--just ticketed. You have to pay a fee which could be something between $50 and $300 USD depending how hardcore the particular state/county/city is about littering. I think you could try contesting it in court, and possibly get the fee knocked down a bit. Hiring a lawyer to represent you would be silly, however.

This all may seem draconian, but I rarely ever see people slipping on banana peels in America. No doubt in other less-organized countries it is a large problem.

-Erik

08-08-2006 at 02:34 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
I didn't get mine, with a BYU address.

++Adam H. Peterson
08-08-2006 at 06:37 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
With Gmail:

Time message was posted: 4:04AM My time.

Message received in Inbox: 4:15, same day, my time.

08-08-2006 at 06:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Well I got my Illumination at 7 Aug 2006 06:32:31 in gmail.
08-08-2006 at 07:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
I did not get the Illumination either.
08-08-2006 at 08:26 AM
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
ErikH2000 wrote:

This secret offer can't be revealed publicly on our website, so its text has been omitted here. It was only sent to people who receive the Illumination by e-mail. We've had some secret offers like this so far, and there will be more, so getting the Illumination once each month by e-mail is recommended. If you've got a Caravel Forum account, you can change settings in your profile to receive it. There is also a sign-up form at the top of caravelgames.com.

Does this mean This secret offer is for people who get the news letter or people who get all copies of posts in the Illumination?

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-18-2008 05:42 AM]
08-08-2006 at 11:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Jason wrote:
Does this mean This secret offer is for people who get the news letter or people who get all copies of posts in the Illumination?
Just the news letter, not copies of posts in Illumination.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-08-2006 at 12:46 PM
Jason
Thanks

08-08-2006 at 01:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Hey, I got permission from Jamie to unsecret his secret offer. So here's what it is...

If you purchase a copy of *Eets* before September 1st, 2006, you can get a bonus collection of 12 extra *Eets* levels that has yet to be released anyplace else. In fact, Jamie put these levels together especially for DROD players. To pick up the dozen bonus levels from Jamie, just e-mail him at drodfans@eetsgame.com with your order#. Be sure to send him the e-mail before September 1st.

-Erik

08-12-2006 at 11:47 PM
ErikH2000
Regarding Alefbet and Alneyan not getting the Illumination: The log for outgoing mail has cleared, making it difficult to see if the Illumination e-mails left our server. So I waited a bit too long to troubleshoot that.

If you're willing to test a little bit more, may you could request a CaravelNet key and tell me if you got it in the mail?

-Erik

08-12-2006 at 11:52 PM
Alneyan
I requested a key a few days ago, and got one just fine. It did take a few minutes to reach my server, but CaravelNet was not in a great shape that day, and that's hardly a long delay (I've added the two relevant Received headers to this message).

I do not have any spam filter running either on the server (unless they sneaked in one...) or on the local computer; I still haven't got the Illumination.

Received: from [72.232.206.138] (helo=caravelgames.com) by mx.kundenserver.de (node=mxeu13) with ESMTP (Nemesis),id 0MKsEO-1GBAUm270G-0004Is for alneyan@wispeary.info; Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:22:45 +0200
Received: (qmail 17802 invoked by uid 10001); 10 Aug 2006 08:25:31 -0500

[Last edited by Schik at 08-14-2006 08:35 PM]
08-13-2006 at 08:50 AM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
The Illumination was flagged as spam by GMX mail. Since they removed the English pages from their site and I don't read German, I have no idea how to retrieve it.

This was the first time, so I wonder if something in the subject line caused it to be flagged as spam.
08-14-2006 at 01:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Hmm... Three points to make:

A) Where's the September Illumination?
B) Why does the Illumination forum description say "brigetheth"?
C) Yes you did just mistake the red folder for the September Illumination.
09-17-2006 at 05:24 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
coppro wrote:

@c, nope, i didn't. Monitoring the new topics has its advantages.
09-17-2006 at 05:27 AM
Jason
coppro wrote:

A) I emailed Erik yesterday and he said
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, unbelievably late. And what am I gonna do about it? I'll write it, of course, but I have to finish some other things which are even more unbelievably late.

-Erik
--------------------------------------------------------------------
b) I don't know
C) When I saw that there had been a new post in Illumination I was excited but no I didn't mistake the folder.

09-17-2006 at 08:25 AM
ErikH2000
coppro wrote:
Getting to it.

-Erik

09-17-2006 at 08:54 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
coppro wrote:
I guess Erik let Igor write it... ;)

09-17-2006 at 08:54 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Illumination : Musing at an 8th Grade Level. (Our News for August.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com