Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : PC games...
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Roth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon PC games... (+1)  
HI EVERYBODY!!!!(HI Dr.NICK!!!!)

So I was pondering, "Should I play SC BroodWar or should I play Ages(or AOE)2..."
and so I went for about ten minutes untill, "Hey I know, what games do other people like to play??"
So insead of asking someone which game I should play, I'm asking you guys,

What PC games(besides DROD :P ) do you like??

undeniably
-Tim
07-29-2003 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: PC games... (0)  
I don't really have many games on my PC. It's mainly because I don't have that much time to play them. At the moment, apart from DROD, my two favorite games are SimCity 4, (It's lots of fun designing and watching your city grow, although very easy to get into monetary problems of the kind that make the financial advisor jump around at you for spending :)) and a pretty old, but fun and well-designed game called Descent 3 where you control a type of spaceship and fly around a level, killing all the robots and generally blowing things up :D.

07-29-2003 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Oh, God, you don't want to get me started on video games. I have way too many for my own good (and age :P ). Why do you think my tag line is always "Game on?" However, since you narrowed it down to PC games, at first I would suggest the topic on this board I started called "Other good puzzle games", because most of the ones listed are free. As for what I am playing...

My first love in terms of PC video gaming was the Ultima series of role-playing games. Thus, most of my favorite PC games after those are also RPGs. I am currently playing Morrowind (plus expansions) and Divine Divinity. Those take up more than enough time for me. Also, those are on my computer at home. My laptop has exclusively free games (mostly from www.the-underdogs.org and www.gamehippos.com), including DROD. Since this is my work computer, I only play a bit at lunch or when I have to come into the lab and babysit my experiment for a few hours. At home I mostly play my Playstation 2, Gamecube, Gameboy Advance, but not the PC so much, since my fiancee is hogging that right now with the aforementioned RPGs.

I liked Starcraft; I bought the battle chest and got up to the 7th Protoss mission before I realized that I just suck at real time strategy games, since I couldn't beat it even with the hint guide open right in front of me. I only tried it three times, but I guess I got sick of it. Warcraft 2 was the same way, I could only beat about half of each race's missions. I am much more fond of turn-based strategy games. I have always loved the Warlords series (the Warlords Battlecry series are real time), and Warlords 4 is coming out soon so I am stoked. I wish I had started playing the Heroes of Might and Magic series before #3, since I heard #2 was the best, but I got my money's worth out of #3 before I got tired of it. I also bought Age of Wonders for cheap but haven't yet devoted enough time to it to enjoy it, although I think I would. I guess I could have summed it all up by saying that Master of Magic was one of my favorite games; everything I listed except for Warlords is basically a derivation of that game.

I enjoyed first person shooters (FPSs) until around the time of Quake 2, when the graphics got so good that it gave me headaches. I can play the 3D platform games on the consoles without headaches, or 3D RPGs like Morrowind, but not the fast FPS games like Serious Sam (which I would love to play because it seems to harken back to the good old Doom days).

I could go on forever, but I will hold off until someone else mentions a game I liked and then I will not be able to hold back any more.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-29-2003 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Let's see, I don't have many other PC games. I enjoy playing various Half-Life mods online including TFC, Counter-Strike and Natural Selection. I also tend to play Mario Kart: Super Circuit on my GBA emulator when I have time to kill (Super 2xSAI filter rules!). I like my "toys" as much as my games, which include HyperScore, Cool Edit Pro 2.0, and Band-in-a-Box 12.

Brief descriptions: HyperScore is a program where you, essentially, make music out of art. You create a certain pattern of notes, assign it a color, then draw a curvy, wavy line with that color on your "canvas". When you play it back, it takes your pattern of notes and scales it up and down according to where the line is, keeping it in perfect alignment with Major/Minor chords if you like, so it doesn't sound awful. You can have up to six colors, and you can do other weird things like change the key with the black line in the background. Unfortunately, documentation on this program is sparse and hard to find, and the controls are quite confusing. Mainly because this was a learning tool developed at a school, where they teach them to use it via workshops and thus have never needed a proper manual.

Band-in-a-Box 12 is such a cool program I can't believe it. You select a song style (jazz, country, rock, pop, funk, etc.), type in your chords, and it generates a really nifty-sounding background track for you to play along with or just listen to. You can also generate a melody for the song, or have the Soloist do some improvisation over it. It's an incredibly complex program, with a bewildering array of literally hundreds of song styles, and a steep learning curve, but I love it anyway.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is a sound editing program. What I love about it is the sheer number of presets and effects it comes with; you can make yourself sound like you're anywhere from a sewer pipe to a parking garage to a wooden coffin, or you can make it sound like you're coming through a loudspeaker, over the radio, or off someone's message machine. You can turn an ordinary sound into something totally weird, which I recall was what was done with DROD. :D

07-30-2003 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Re: PC games... (0)  
Sokko wrote:
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is a sound editing program. What I love about it is the sheer number of presets and effects it comes with; you can make yourself sound like you're anywhere from a sewer pipe to a parking garage to a wooden coffin, or you can make it sound like you're coming through a loudspeaker, over the radio, or off someone's message machine. You can turn an ordinary sound into something totally weird, which I recall was what was done with DROD. :D
Where can I get this piece of software? It sounds like it could be useful in helping me compose music.

07-30-2003 at 04:24 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Re: PC games... (0)  
Sokko wrote:
You can turn an ordinary sound into something totally weird, which I recall was what was done with DROD. :D
Yeah, that's what I used on several of the samples. Although I've got Music Studio 7 now with similar features. I think CoolEdit is better but it would have cost more, and I was tired of using it in trial mode.
agaricus5 wrote:Where can I get this piece of software? It sounds like it could be useful in helping me compose music.
It should be at http://www.syntrillium.com/ .

-Erik

07-30-2003 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Roth
I know I shouldn't talk about vidio games BUT I CAN'T HOLD IT IN ANY MORE !!!!!!
MY MOTHER IS HOOOKED ON, ON POKeMON [I'm sorry, but i must rant]

She has more games than me!(I play it a bit)
She has, red,blue,yello[ecsept I can't spell],silver,crystal and ruby!!!!!

She is ALWAYS playing it , she stays up till between 11.5-12PM
A week ago she stayed up till 4AM!!!!!

<Brought to you by: "A Gamers' Rant">

undeniably
-Tim
08-07-2003 at 03:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
I have far too much games. I can't even play them all.

But there are a few games that i like the most:

1)HALF-LIFE(only Single Player)
2)MYST Series(MYST,RIVEN,MYST3 Exile)
3)Diablo1(not diablo2)
4)Incubation(well the most don't know something about this game)
5)Unreal1(not Unreal2)
6)Sokoban
7)mario64

But i could only complete theese:

1)Half-Life(3xOriginal, 2xOpposing Force, 1xBlue Shift, 2xThey Hunger, Gunman, 3 more)
2)Diablo2 (don't like it after all)
3)Unreal1
4)mario64
5)all of the Myst series

I have around 50 Games more and haven't tried out about 15 of them. They are coming out far to soon after each other.

08-07-2003 at 09:47 AM
butsam
Rank Points: 114
Sorry, it's the end of Summer term so I don't have nearly as much time to be here. Anyway, I just had a suggestion for One, since his RPG interests are very similar to mine. He would probably enjoy Baldur's Gate (a total of 4 games, Baldur's Gate I, Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast (expansion for I), Baldur's Gate II, and Baldur's Gate: Throne of Bhaal (expansion for II).

I also add Gabriel Knight, and expand Descent to include the entire series--to me, it's more fun than other 3-D shooters. The adventure game genre has died out, which is TRAGIC--I miss the true adventure games that Sierra used to be so famous for before their new management killed the genre Sierra was founded on.

Anyway, the books are calling! Next Friday I will be free (for a couple weeks), so I should be back more then!

Sam

[Edited by butsam on 08-07-2003 at 05:14 PM]
08-07-2003 at 05:12 PM
Oneiromancer
butsam: I actually got Baldur's Gate the day it came out, I was so excited about the D&D franchise coming back to PC (I had played most of the "Gold Box" and Eye of the Beholder games). And I really enjoyed Baldur's Gate...until the very end of the game, starting in the Thieves' Guild. Even though my party had been doing just fine until then, suddenly it got very hard and I had to reload twice for almost every battle. I did end up getting the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, which was even worse in that respect, so I actually never played it.

I will probably pick up Baldur's Gate II, as well as the Icewind Dale games, when they are in super-cheap bundle packs. So it won't be for a while, but I am planning on doing it eventually.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-07-2003 at 06:14 PM
Oneiromancer
Oh, hey, noman, do you ever post on the Usenet comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.rpg group? I've seen someone using that name post there, was wondering if it was you.

And to stay on topic, I enjoyed Diablo 1 very much, and still play Diablo 2. It's hard for me to say which one I like more...there's something to be said for a short, sweet, and simple game (like Diablo 1), but it is also more fun to have lots and lots of variety and replayability (Diablo 2). I don't play them multiplayer, so that doesn't enter into it.

And Mario 64 is probably the biggest reason why I haven't sold my N64 yet. It's amazing that the original 3D platformer is still basically the best.

Game on,

08-07-2003 at 06:38 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, but Mario 64 has a really poor camera. It really annoys me sometimes.

I'll admit I'm going throuh what can only be called "conker's Bad fur Day" at the moment. That is a really crude game, but it resembles a cross between a platformer and "Leisure Suit Larry".

At the moment, I'm in a club. There's a huge keg and some rock monsters who don't like liquid. Guess what I have to do.

Matt

08-08-2003 at 12:04 AM
butsam
I haven't beat BG yet--I am on Chapter 7, so that is not encouraging news.

I will say this: Baldur's Gate II is 100000000x better than Baldur's Gate!!!! I just know that Baldur's Gate is really fun as well, and it's probably best to do them in order. There is a lot more in BG2 than in BG1, but that said, I have gotten to Chapter 3 on BG2 even though I haven't won BG1 yet.

Anyway, what level are your BG1 characters? I was able to get up to level 6-7 (depending on class) for my entire party by this point--maybe you need some subquests before continuing on with the battles.

I love the Might & Magic series...and I wish BG and AD&D in general did magic based on spell points instead--it is easier AND works better. You don't have to "guess" what's coming up, but you can't go crazy with magic either. Of course, the BG2 Sorceror class fixes that, it's like the Might & Magic spell points.

My favorite Might & Magic is still MM2, probably because it's the first one I played, but it rocks!

Sam

[Edited by butsam on 08-08-2003 at 01:03 AM]
08-08-2003 at 12:59 AM
Oneiromancer
Matt: I picked up Conker's BFD for $10 about two weeks before I got my Playstation 2, and I had only gotten past the first level by then (I also got Banjo-Tooie at the same time, which I liked better). And I never had many problems with the Mario 64 camera--since it was the first game of that type, I just got used to it. By today's standards, yes, it has a lot to be desired, but back then, I could do some of those crazy jumps on World 11 (I think--that big mountain) regardless of the camera angle, I was just that used to it.

Sam: well, from what I understand, almost all the combats in BG2 are about the same as the final ones in BG1, so you will probably have fun, while I wouldn't enjoy BG2. I could be wrong, I guess. I enjoy a challenge, and the monsters scaling with your levels, but I was having a lot of trouble. I am looking forward to The Temple of Elemental Evil, which is being done by Troika, the guys that made Arcanum (which I haven't played).

If you're curious, I have also almost beaten Wizardry 8, but I kind of lost interest. It's the only one I've really played, though. I have played Might and Magic 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7, but only beaten 4 and 5 (came really close with 2 and 6 though). I played and beat Bard's Tale 3, but only through the hint book. One of my favorite old RPGs was The Dark Heart of Uukrul, which I was never able to beat because it got too hard, but it was a lot of fun on the way. And then there's all the old Gold Box games, like I said before.

Anyway...

Game on,

08-08-2003 at 01:10 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I played BG1 almost all the way through but messed up around the end and couldn't be bothered restarting.

I have played BG2 all the way through using only 1 character the whole game. I found it easier with only 1 character actually because often times you can win a fight with 6 but loose 1 character and have to do it over. I used a fighter/mage/thief. A fighter with stoneskin is an amazing thing. :D
08-08-2003 at 01:30 AM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
Mattcrampy wrote:
That's interesting. I've heard that Mario 64, although the first, still has one of the best cameras in a 3D game. Can you name some that are better?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-08-2003 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Well, one thing I can add is that I think Banjo-Kazooie was the first game to have the option of pressing a button and the camera automatically goes behind you. So that was definitely an improvement. Basically, the biggest criterions are how much control you have over the camera--which might not be a big deal if the programmers chose good camera angles--and if the camera gets "stuck" on the walls or whatnot. Almost every game has the latter problem, if you are unlucky enough to find those places.

But Mario did a neat job of using the camera to its advantage. In most levels, you have complete control over the camera--any direction. But underwater, the camera would always just follow you--you didn't have to control it (while flying too). And in the haunted house level, every room had a fixed camera angle, which actually adds to the ambiance of the level.

Game on,

08-08-2003 at 02:13 AM
Mattcrampy
mrimer wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
That's interesting. I've heard that Mario 64, although the first, still has one of the best cameras in a 3D game. Can you name some that are better?

Well, okay, it's not really poor, but Banjo-Kazooie generally found itself in better positions than Mario 64. Mario 64 tended to not allow you to rotate the camera when it was pointing straight on, which is a real pain in sequences where there are various penalties for not being at the right depth. Odd words, I know, but it's the best I could find.

Incidently, Zelda 64 had a kickass camera. I rarely had a problem with it, and when I did, I hit Z and it was all better.

Matt

08-08-2003 at 04:03 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Zelda 64 had a kickass everything.

08-08-2003 at 04:31 AM
Roth
Thats an understatement to the extreme..

undeniably
-Tim
08-09-2003 at 09:34 PM
Mattcrampy
You mean...

That's an understatement... to the EXTREME!!!!

I love how people are still trying to find the Triforce in that game.

Matt

08-10-2003 at 02:51 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
And I think some are trying to make new ways to "get the Triforce".

Anyway, one of my friends claimed that he could beat the first three levels in one hour, no cut scenes counted. I don't think it's possible, but has anybody else accomplished this outrageous feat?

08-10-2003 at 03:01 AM
butsam
Gotta run off to class, but I'll get back on BG2...I have found BG2 to be well-balanced so far (up to Chapter 3), and a lot more flexible--there are actually different paths you can go on, and strongholds, and a MUCH better story (not that BG1 had a bad story, just that BG2 is better).

Try checking out www.the-underdogs.org for some abandonware, freeware, and shareware games--if you find any good RPGs there, let me know!

I have never beaten MM2 yet, but I have been very close (did all Jurors quests for my people).

Gotta run!

Sam

PS: For BG2, it is SOMEWHAT unbalanced at the beginning IF you had TOSC expansion, but that's because TOSC lets your chars get more XP than BG2 characters start out with. It was purposefully made that way as an incentive for those who play through the expansion.

The Throne of Bhaal expansion for BG2 has STORY, not just hack-n-slash areas.

[Edited by butsam on 08-11-2003 at 04:35 PM]
08-11-2003 at 04:33 PM
Sokko
One word, people: PlanetSide. This is the coolest game ever! (besides DROD, of course) Aside from a few lag issues, which are easily solved by setting your video options correctly, this is a great be-what-you-wanna-be MMOFPS! (massively multiplayer online first-person shooter) You can download a 7-day trial at FilePlanet. In case you haven't heard about it, it's like a never-ending war between three factions, and the goal is to capture as many bases as possible. There are a number of gigantic continents to fight on, and a multitude of ways to get there. There are different Certifications that you can purchase as you gain Battle Ranks, which determine what kind of person you are. You can be a heavy weapons guy in mechanized armor, a sneaky spy who infiltrates bases with cloaking, a vehicle driver who transports troops from place to place in huge airborne ships or wages vehicular warfare with tanks and suchlike; the choice is yours. One of the best games ever created, in my opinion. :D

08-11-2003 at 05:03 PM
Oneiromancer
butsam: Oh yes, I know about the Underdogs. I have found a few interesting RPGs from them, but I have problems running the old DOS ones sometimes. But I just found out about a Sourceforge project called DOSBox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/) that seems to be pretty good at emulating the DOS environment, so I might take another look, and perhaps dig out my old games once more.

Sokko: erm, I have never had much interest in MMOGs at all. Basically the problem for me is that I really want to be able to play single player if I want to, but every one I know of makes it pretty much impossible to escape from other people if you want to go solo for a while. I can enjoy being in a world populated by thousands of other people, if they would just leave me alone! :)

Game on,

08-11-2003 at 05:24 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Oneiromancer wrote:
But I just found out about a Sourceforge project called DOSBox http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/) that seems to be pretty good at emulating the DOS environment, so I might take another look, and perhaps dig out my old games once more.

DOSBox is certainly improving (I've been following progress for a while now) Much more useful for games than the other (expensive) emulators on the market. The upcoming version is going to be a significant advancement - it pays to check the (unsupported) daily builds. I've got a bunch of protected mode games I'm waiting to play again (I'm going to need a faster CPU though, but I'm going to have to upgrade for some upcoming retail releases anyway :P ) Implementation is only partial so far though. Looks like Syndicate support is coming along... :D

And on a side note, ScummVM now has good support for Beneath A Steal Sky :glasses
08-11-2003 at 09:29 PM
Oneiromancer
StuartK wrote:
And on a side note, ScummVM now has good support for Beneath A Steal Sky :glasses

Actually, I heard that Beneath a Steel Sky was actually released as freeware by the original developers, and is available on the ScummVM site.

I'm most interested in ScummVM for Loom, although it appears that Loom is also supported by DOSBox.

Game on,

08-11-2003 at 09:47 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
If you're brave, consider checking out FreeDOS. That's not an emulator, it's a real, free DOS - you'll need a partition for it, and DOS drivers for your sound card (mouse, cd and graphics (vesa) is included). In return for this you get a real DOS that runs almost every DOS program you throw at it at full speed (exceptions are some MS programs that use undocumented stuff).

- Gerry

08-11-2003 at 11:09 PM
butsam
The Front Page Sports: Football Pro series is also AWESOME, especially for the timeframe. It was before Sierra went sour, so don't worry! Anyway, it STILL is better than Madden in some ways. There are more stats, and training camp is conducted in a way where YOU get to make the choices. The organization makes more sense. And most of all, PLAY EDITOR for ultimate flexibility! Graphics are good (at least, they were excellent in 1996). I think The Underdogs has it available for free--check it out!

Sam
08-22-2003 at 04:24 PM
Sokko
you get a real DOS that runs almost every DOS program you throw at it at full speed

Ah, but does it run them at the CORRECT speed? ;)

08-25-2003 at 06:22 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : PC games...
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com