Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Changes for Build 33.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Changes for Build 33. (0)  
The setup installer (full install) is very close now to what it will be like when it's distributed in the final release. In fact, the only difference may be the inclusion of "BUILD 33 - DO NOT DISTRIBUTE!" text on the welcome dialog. I made several minor changes to text, avoiding use of "Caravel" and the full length title "Deadly Rooms of Death: Architects' Edition". The 8.3 filename thing should be fixed, i.e. "c:\\progr~2\\drod3~1".

There is a new option to add a shortcut to the desktop. Having it default to placing a shortcut is done with great reluctance, since I have always hated setup programs that tried to insert themselves in half a dozen places. But I have heard convincing arguments from someone with real game support experience to include this. I guess there are many, many users of Windows who haven't figured out how to use the start menu and heh... lose the program they just installed in the mysterious depths of their start menu. I doubt they frequent this board, but they are out there.

Debug messages (drod.err logging) have been removed. Since we are nearly at beta's end it is important to make DROD match what we will release as much as possible. The debug message code slows down DROD in places, increases the size of the executable, and potentially could eat up users' hard drive space, so it won't be included in the final release.

We *think* we are very close to having a "Release Candidate". A "release candidate" is a build that will be released if no bugs are found in it. If bugs are reported at the current pace for this build, then build 34 would be a release candidate. Now would be an excellent time to crush our Polyanna optimism and throw a bunch of nasty bugs in our faces. Or if we ignored or forgot about a bug you came up with a long while back that is still present in our builds, please please remind us again. You should at least have gotten a reply to your report stating that we didn't intend to fix the problem you reported.

Hmm. I've gone on at length about my changes. As usual, Mike checked in many more bug fixes with less to say about them. Just enjoying the sound of my own typing again, I guess. :)

The upgrade installer will overwrite your data. If you need them, see instructions for getting your data imported from a previous build in the "Testers please" post.

The build 33 upgrade installer will only upgrade from build 32. If you have an earlier build installed (or no build), you'll need to run the full install.

We think these bugs were fixed in build 33. Please tell us if you think they still need work.

79895 Shortcuts overwritten.
79896 Add to desktop and run-after-install options.
82564 BUG: Beethro's eyes keep reading when off scroll
79894 "C:\\Progra~1\\DROD" - old-style path looks bad.
82561 File Selection: OK selects dir when no files shown
82560 BUG: Memory leak in CDbHold::VerifySolvability()
82512 Make recognizing double-click more restrictive
82511 Enlarge hold selection dialog
82510 BUG: Assertions when ignoring hold on import
82509 BUG: Import says "Successful" when hold wasn't imported
82508 BUG: Import ignored if hold desc. is empty
82372 BUG: Level start saves not retained on hold upgrade
82368 BUG: Doubled room loc. desc on multi-room demos
82306 Double-click list box on dialog

-Erik

07-28-2003 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
icon Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
Mmm... I first upgraded Build 33 even before this topic saw the light, and after the setup finished, I got an error from it. But DROD worked ok, until I tried to import a hold: there is nothing in "Current directory" so I can't import anything.

Maybe I corrupted something on my bug-hunting spree, so I uninstalled everything, reinstalled B32, and upgraded to B33. No setup error, but still no "Current directory" :(

Gotta try the full install now.
07-28-2003 at 12:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
Mister wrote:
Mmm... I first upgraded Build 33 even before this topic saw the light, and after the setup finished, I got an error from it. But DROD worked ok, until I tried to import a hold: there is nothing in "Current directory" so I can't import anything.

Maybe I corrupted something on my bug-hunting spree, so I uninstalled everything, reinstalled B32, and upgraded to B33. No setup error, but still no "Current directory" :(

Gotta try the full install now.
I'm wondering if your hold files aren't in a different location. Like maybe you installed to "c:Program filesdrod33" and all of the hold files you want are over at say... "c:Program filesdrod32datahomemade". Here are my troubleshooting questions:

1. Where are the hold files you want to import?
2. Are they in the "homemade" directory that corresponds to your most-recent build 33 installation?
3. If not, does browsing to the location from the import dialog of build 33 find them?

Also, I did rewrite my upgrade installer script. It may have some different behaviour of which I'm unaware.

-Erik

[Edited by ErikH2000 on 07-28-2003 at 12:38 AM GMT: Emoticon problems.]

07-28-2003 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mister
icon Re: Re: Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
1. In Data/Homemade, in my only DROD install directory, as always have been.

2. Yes.

3. Can't browse. The boxes are dead. If I write a path in the upper box then press enter, ok or whatever, it just deletes what I just wrote.

I tried copying a hold, even in the root directory, but I'm still unable to import it.
Not even exporting works (I press OK, nothing happens)

Same problem with the full install.

I've tried installing to the same directory, another directory, upgrading from 1.5, not upgrading... nothing works.
07-28-2003 at 01:12 AM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
Mister wrote:
3. Can't browse. The boxes are dead. If I write a path in the upper box then press enter, ok or whatever, it just deletes what I just wrote.
Character-for-character, what does the default path say when you first come to the import dialog? Or maybe it is completely blank.

Also, if you use the mouse to click on drives and directories (not keyboard), are you able to browse to the directory containing your hold file?

-Erik

07-28-2003 at 02:03 AM
Mister

File: screenshot.jpg (16 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
Everything is blank. See screenshot.

Pressing Okay does nothing. Entering a directory then pressing Enter just deletes what I wrote. Nothing works except the Cancel button.

07-28-2003 at 05:03 AM
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
In the upgrade installer, I still get the DOS naming thing (C:\\progra~1\\drodbu~2).

"Oook!"
07-28-2003 at 08:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
In the upgrade installer, I still get the DOS naming thing (C:\\progra~1\\drodbu~2).
Okay, thanks.

-Erik

07-28-2003 at 04:05 PM
Tscott
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 382
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
Mister wrote:

Pressing Okay does nothing. Entering a directory then pressing Enter just deletes what I wrote. Nothing works except the Cancel button.
I just did a full install of Build 33 and I'm getting the exact same thing. I can't import any players or holds. My player from the original DROD 1.5 install did import over the first time I ran build 33 but that's it.

I've got it installed to C:\\games\\drod33\\, the original install of DROD 1.5 is at C:\\games\\drod\\ and my previous install was at C:\\games\\drodbuild32\\, but that folder was removed before I ran the full install of build 33. I'm running Windows98.

07-28-2003 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Changes for Build 33. (0)  
Mister wrote:

Mister, TScott, can you tell me if you still get this in build 34?

-Erik

08-01-2003 at 04:04 AM
Tscott
Sorry, I'm still having this problem. I just did a full install of build 34 to C:\\games\\drod34 on my computer (running Win98SE) and I get nothing in the path on the import player and hold screens. Typing in the path doesn't work either, I see what I've typed, but clicking okay does nothing.

This is very similiar to what I was seeing before build 28. Builds 28-32 have been the only builds I've been able to import player and hold files.

08-01-2003 at 05:48 AM
Mister
Same here. Can't import/export anything on B33 and B34. I've tried both Upgrade and Full installs.
08-03-2003 at 08:03 AM
Tscott
I just wanted to say I can import files now in build 35. This problem has been fixed- in fact, it's better than ever, I can now see all my drives in the box below and navigate through them by clicking. I don't know if this is new in build 35 or if I was supposed to be seeing this all along, but I like it.

08-06-2003 at 04:59 AM
ErikH2000
Tscott wrote:
I just wanted to say I can import files now in build 35. This problem has been fixed- in fact, it's better than ever, I can now see all my drives in the box below and navigate through them by clicking. I don't know if this is new in build 35 or if I was supposed to be seeing this all along, but I like it.
That's excellent to hear!

-Erik

08-06-2003 at 04:29 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Changes for Build 33.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com