Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Anyone got a verizon.net address?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Anyone got a verizon.net address? (0)  
Is there anyone here that has a verizon.net e-mail address? I think they may have our site blocked, and I wanted to run a little test. You would change your profile to use the verizon.net e-mail address and set one of the boards so that e-mail notifications are sent to you. Then we'd see if you actually get them! Fun, eh?

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 12:36 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Anyone got a verizon.net address? (+2)  
:wave:

I've got one. Send away, Erik!

Keep posting,

EDIT: I just changed the address under Profile. I'm ready.

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 07-26-2006 12:53 AM]
07-26-2006 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: Anyone got a verizon.net address? (0)  
Jeremy, do you have e-mail notification for posts on the "General" board? In that case, you should expect to get an e-mail from this post within a few minutes from now.

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 01:40 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Actually, I see you just joined the Illumination mailing list and an e-mail was sent to your verizon.net address. Did you receive an e-mail with subject like "Welcome to the mailing list"? Also, please check your spam filter if you don't see the message at first glance.

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 01:46 AM
UrAvgAzn
Okay, I'll turn on send emails for the General board. The thing is, I just changed my E-mail under profile to verizon.net. I don't use that one much, so I had Illumination mail sent to my other address. Could anybody post right now? Even if its a worthless message?

Keep posting,

EDIT: I now see that I can just post again and it'll be sent to my email address. :blush

[Last edited by UrAvgAzn at 07-26-2006 02:15 AM]
07-26-2006 at 02:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Posting again to see if it gets sent...

Keep posting,

07-26-2006 at 02:16 AM
ErikH2000
Jeremy, two e-mails have left our server and been sent to your @verizon.net address. One has subject "[CaravelNet (General)] Re: Anyone got a verizon.net address?" (from this topic) and the other has subject "Welcome to the CaravelNet News mailing list".

Did you get either of them?

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 02:29 AM
UrAvgAzn
None. :(

Keep posting,

07-26-2006 at 02:39 AM
ErikH2000
UrAvgAzn wrote:
None. :(
Jeremy, thanks a lot! Can you check once more to see if you have any mail matching those two subjects at the @verizon.net address? Also, if you've got a spam filter, please doublecheck that the messages aren't in there.

I just want to be reasonably sure about this, so I'd appreciate if you take one more look.

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 07:41 PM
ErikH2000
I've just finished a tour of the various public spammer and open relay boycott lists. Thankfully, we aren't on any of them.

I'm going to wait for Jeremy to reply back, but I think his feedback along with another user's points to us being blocked by verizon.net. If anyone else has a verizon.net e-mail, I wouldn't mind running one more test.

And if anyone has a spare verizon.net e-mail account that they never use, maybe you would consider donating it to caravel? In this case, I would need information to log in to the account via POP3. I am thinking of setting up some automated scripts to send e-mail to test accounts and verify they are received.

I'm also considering adding something to the site that will warn users when they are using an e-mail address on a site that is blocking us, with a mild suggestion to contact technical support of the ISP and complain.

Moving this topic to "The Site" board.

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 09:48 PM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
I remember reading something about Verizon and aggressive spam filtering on Slashdot some time ago...

*digs in*

Hah! Found it!

I guess that's what causes problems... :?

07-26-2006 at 10:31 PM
ErikH2000
Briareos wrote:
Hah! Found it!
Awesome, B!

The thing that bugs me so much about this problem of getting e-mails out to people is that there is no one single way to deal with false classifications. Every hosting provider has their own protocol. In this case, Verizon has a community "whitelist" that their customers can use to submit whitelist requests. For MSN/Hotmail, Yahoo, GMail--it is a different protocol for each one.

-Erik

07-26-2006 at 11:17 PM
UrAvgAzn
Just to confirm that, I haven't got an e-mail from CaravelNet yet. Is it okay if I change my E-mail under Profile back to the one I always use (hotmail)?

Keep posting,

07-29-2006 at 07:38 PM
ErikH2000
Yeah, we're done testing. The verdict is that Verizon blocked us. Thanks, man!

-Erik

07-29-2006 at 10:48 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Anyone got a verizon.net address?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com