Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Need help with transparent tar (Drat it, the instructions don't work for me :/)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
IP: Logged
icon Need help with transparent tar (0)  
...yeah. I've been trying to get a transparent tar mod installed for a while, but for some reason, the OSX version of DROD doesn't seem to like the .tim files that are running around in here. I don't know enough about how all this works to be able to just make my own, so... Someone who's managed to get a transparent tar mod installed properly on Mac, could I get a little help?

Please?

07-19-2006 at 03:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Need help with transparent tar (+1)  
Hikari wrote:
...yeah. I've been trying to get a transparent tar mod installed for a while, but for some reason, the OSX version of DROD doesn't seem to like the .tim files that are running around in here. I don't know enough about how all this works to be able to just make my own, so... Someone who's managed to get a transparent tar mod installed properly on Mac, could I get a little help?

Please?

Really? Shouldn't you just put the Transparent.tim and the Transparent.png into the Bitmaps folder, and then add General=Transparent to the drod.ini file?

Which reminds me...
07-19-2006 at 03:32 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
icon Re: Need help with transparent tar (0)  
coppro wrote:
Really? Shouldn't you just put the Transparent.tim and the Transparent.png into the Bitmaps folder, and then add General=Transparent to the drod.ini file?
That's *exactly* what I do, and it has no result whatsoever. If I put in a full GeneralTiles.png, it replaces the whole thing, but dropping the Transparent.tim and Transparent.png don't seem to work, with *or* without the General=Transparent.

07-19-2006 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Hikari wrote:
coppro wrote:
That's *exactly* what I do, and it has no result whatsoever. If I put in a full GeneralTiles.png, it replaces the whole thing, but dropping the Transparent.tim and Transparent.png don't seem to work, with *or* without the General=Transparent.

You did put it in the right part of drod.ini, right? It has to go after General=GeneralTiles. Hmm... *scratches head*. AFAIK, Macs behave identically to other machines in terms of mods.
07-19-2006 at 04:12 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari

File: drod.ini (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
coppro wrote:
Hikari wrote:
coppro wrote:

You did put it in the right part of drod.ini, right? It has to go after General=GeneralTiles. Hmm... *scratches head*. AFAIK, Macs behave identically to other machines in terms of mods.
I assume I've got it right.

<--- want to take a look just to make sure?

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-19-2006 04:27 AM]
07-19-2006 at 04:27 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381

File: drod.ini (2.7 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
Hikari wrote:
<--- want to take a look just to make sure?
It could have something to do with Mac newlines being different. Try the one I've attached.

07-19-2006 at 04:30 AM
Hikari
:sigh: still didn't get it working. :X

This makes no sense... All I want to do is use the JtRH graphics with transparent tar, why's it gotta be so hard?

07-19-2006 at 05:04 AM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
One more thing... I assume the Mac is case sensitive. So since your INI says "Transparent", make sure the files are "Transparent.tim" and "Transparent.png". If the case is not exactly the same, that would very likely be the problem.

07-19-2006 at 05:09 AM
Hikari
Yup, files are named properly. Capital T's on both files in the bitmaps folder.

:sigh: I *really* hope transparent tar is an actual *official* option in TCB...

07-19-2006 at 05:18 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: Need help with transparent tar (+3)  
I would suggest that you try modifying a different part of your drod.ini file, so that we can see if the problem is on the options part, or the graphical mod part.

On my Debian system, the drod.ini under ~/[...]/drod-jtrh/data isn't actually used by the game. Instead, the game looks up my drod.ini file (and a few others) under ~/.caravel/drod-2_0 . There could be something along these lines on your system.
07-19-2006 at 06:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Hikari
:facepalms: Thanks, Alneyan... You just told me exactly what my problem was. :/

I'm used to modifying .ini files within my .app folders, not having to go delving into Library/Application Support to find the relevant ones.

Got it working now. Thanks!

07-19-2006 at 06:45 AM
Chaco
Rank Points: 3624
I've been having the exact same problem, except I can't find the relevant folder in either my user/library/application support, nor the hard drive's.

I know this is because the directory starts with a period, which the Mac doesn't especially like, but there doesn't seem to be an option to show them either... There has to be one though because I remember turning one on when I had to make some .htpasswd files.

07-19-2006 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Files starting with a period are hidden by default on some Unix systems, so I guess the same goes for MacOsX (I see no reason why not). That can be useful to hide all those files, since they are often config files and come by the hundred.

You might be able to switch on "Show hidden files" in your file manager, but I would only known Konqueror as far as browsers go. "ls -a" in a Terminal should list all files/folders, hidden ones included, which your home root being the most likely place for the dotted stuff.

Of course, I haven't used MacOs in the last ten years, so MacOsX is beyond my knowledge. Still, odds are it should be somewhat familiar to systems I do know of for these basic points (unless MacOsX is doing something odd to the ls command).

[Last edited by Alneyan at 07-19-2006 02:10 PM]
07-19-2006 at 02:09 PM
Chaco
Note: You don't need to show hidden files and folders if you don't want to - the Terminal can do it just fine.

To all Mac users: Start a new Terminal session, then type the following commands:

mkdir ini
cd .caravel
cd drod-2_0
mv drod.ini ../../ini

Close the terminal. Then go to your home folder, open the ini folder, and modify the text file. When done, start a new session and type the following commands:

cd ini
mv drod.ini ../.caravel/drod-2_0

At no point did I need to actually see .caravel.

07-19-2006 at 02:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Chaco wrote:
Note: You don't need to show hidden files and folders if you don't want to - the Terminal can do it just fine.

Not only in command line actually: if you know the address, you can just type it in your file browser. Dotted files are pretty much the same as any other for the system (spaces could be a problem in command line, though, but that's as far as it goes).

Of course, the point of seeing the dotted files is to see *how* much dot garbage accumulates... I think I'm up to a few hundred dotted files and folders at ~/, with exactly one undotted file (GPG key revokation) and one undotted folder (which, of course, includes the rest of my stuff). Bleh.
07-19-2006 at 02:59 PM
Hikari
~/Library/Application Support/Caravel/drod-2_0/

That's where I found it, though I had to use Spotlight to get there.

And it's not hidden at all.

[Last edited by Hikari at 07-19-2006 08:18 PM]
07-19-2006 at 08:17 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Yeah .ed files are exactly like any other.
If you want to know where your drod.ini files are, type the following in the term (as root):
find / -name drod.ini

Alternatively,you should be able to strace the process to find out which ini file is being used.
07-23-2006 at 06:32 PM
Syntax
Chaco wrote:
mkdir ini
cd .caravel
cd drod-2_0
mv drod.ini ../../ini

Sorry for double post but only just noticed. The last command won't work for most users. It should be:
cp drod.ini ~/drod.ini

In fact, mv-ing it would prob break DROD. Just remember that this will just be a copy so any changes will not result in DROD's behaviour changing.

[EDIT]

Typos

[Last edited by Syntax at 07-23-2006 06:36 PM]
07-23-2006 at 06:35 PM
Hikari
Not sure if it's possible on systems other than MacOS, but I created an alias on my desktop to the actual file, so that I don't have to go searching after that first time... Seems to work pretty well.

07-23-2006 at 08:38 PM
Chaco
Syntax wrote:
Chaco wrote:
mkdir ini
cd .caravel
cd drod-2_0
mv drod.ini ../../ini

In fact, mv-ing it would prob break DROD.

Well, after editing it I mv-ed it back to its original location, and the game works fine for me. Am currently using Sanctum 2 - very nifty :)

07-24-2006 at 02:30 AM
Syntax
What about:
ln -s ~/drod.ini ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/drod.ini

And then mod the drod.ini in your home directory? No mv-ing required :)
07-24-2006 at 11:18 PM
Chaco
Gah, so many alternatives!!!

07-25-2006 at 02:11 AM
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
Syntax wrote:
What about:
ln -s ~/drod.ini ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/drod.ini

And then mod the drod.ini in your home directory? No mv-ing required :)
That ought to work. Although, I would actually do it the other way around:
ln -s ~/.caravel/drod-2_0/drod.ini ~/drod.ini
That way, the original is sitting in the DROD directory where it was to begin with, and your DROD doesn't break if you accidentally delete ~/drod.ini.

++Adam H. Peterson
08-02-2006 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Need help with transparent tar (Drat it, the instructions don't work for me :/)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com