Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Ideas for a new Character. (Let's Jam..)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
IP: Logged
icon Ideas for a new Character. (0)  
Post here your suggestion for a whole new character, his specials, strengths and weaknesses.
You can also provide more information like his origin, history, etc.

Ideas of new specials, limitations and strengths are also welcome, because all the characters are being balanced to be released with the editor.

Be creative, the best idea wins a mod point.

[Last edited by googa at 06-28-2006 07:35 PM]
06-28-2006 at 07:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Ideas for a new Character. (+1)  
Weren't you originally going to have a dog? What happened to him?

EDIT: I might as well describe what I think a dog might do.

Okay, the dog doesn't have a weapon, and always faces the direction he last moved. He attacks monsters by moving on top of them, but if a monster moves on him he dies. This makes for lots of "How to seperate one roach from the rest" puzzles. The dog can't swim, doesn't drop volcanic terrain,(being light and all.) and can't push crates, but he can push barrels. Plus, he can jump over one space whenever he wants, not by using up one food. And the dog's name is "Buddy" and his tag says he comes from India. Oh yeah, he's a mutt.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 06-28-2006 08:15 PM]
06-28-2006 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
GLCoyote
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
icon Re: Ideas for a new Character. (0)  
If you add a pet as one of the characters, I hope it's Steve Wonder! :)

How about this:

Maria the Dancer
From Spain, age 25
Moves by 'leaping' two squares, even if there's an obstacle in the way. Like this:

x . x . x
. . . . .
x . M . x
. . . . .
x . x . x
Leaps three squares when standing on a tower.
Can't push barrels or crates.
Can leap onto crates (no tower required).

Special: Freezes monsters for 6 hours (they're enchanted at watching her dance). Requires one food.
06-28-2006 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
The subtitle of this thread gave me the idea for a character: The Marmeladist. I have no idea how he would work, but hey, let's see what we can come up with here .. (Note I haven't played all of Wonderquest, so I don't know if this would clash with anything already in there .. on the other hand, I'm not serious here at all).

Okay, the Marmeladist (33) is from Holland (where he's got a wife and small family). He doesn't have a sword, but might have a stick or rubber duck or something. His special ability is to cover one square with marmelade, using one food unit. Marmeladed squares are slippery, ie walking into a marmeladed square will make the character (or monster!) slide onwards to the next square, where he/she/it will stop (unless that square is marmeladed too), and, because of the friction, fall over and stay immobilized for one turn. Crossing a marmeladed square will also make marmelade stick to your feet for a set number of turns. This won't make you slip, but flies and ants, if the game has any, are attracted to marmelade (and also caramel, see below). In addition, if something slides into a wall (or water), it could die (unless it can swim or walk through walls or something).

Setting fire to marmeladed squares will caramellize them (because of the sugar, see), making the squares sticky in stead. Anything can enter a caramellized square in the regular way, but nothing can leave it, so it effectively acts like a trap.

Okay, maybe not.

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 06-28-2006 10:06 PM]
06-28-2006 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
You made me hungry with your description Trick. But.. Hey! I don't want to have copyright problems with Willy Wonka.

Ezlo, I liked the "How to seperate one roach from the rest" Idea. It would be cool to see Steve Wonder fighting like that.

Keep posting.

Jax still need an extra strength.
The archer needs a special.
The Scientist also needs a special.
etc..
06-28-2006 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Who is Steve Wonder?
06-29-2006 at 01:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
how about Chen being able to turn 360 degrees (killing everything next to him) this would requir, one food (for the effort) and/or one water (for the dizziness) :yes

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson
06-29-2006 at 01:12 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Birkoff wrote:
how about Chen being able to turn 360 degrees (killing everything next to him) this would requir, one food (for the effort) and/or one water (for the dizziness) :yes

Ah, the ol' SPIN-O-RAMA maneuver. Very deadly when used properly!

[Last edited by larrymurk at 06-29-2006 01:25 AM]
06-29-2006 at 01:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
I like it! And the archer for his special can shoot an arrow that keeps going through everything until it hits an undestroyable object. I guess it would require a food, but I haven't found food yet so what do I know!

Here's another character:

Wesley the Chimney Sweeper (pick a country that hasn't been done yet for his locale.)
Wesley weilds a broom, with which he can smite foes.
Wesley cannot walk over any terrain except grass and the wooden one. He can't even pass force arrows. But for the low low cost of one food, he can erase force arrows with his broom. He can also turn mud into grass for free.

One more:

Pedro the Magician (From Brazil or somewhere.)
Weilds a wand with which he makes foes 'disappear.'
Everything, and I mean everything works the opposite for Pedro enemies that try to kill try to run away. Arrows work in the opposite direction, barrels can only be pushed in the opposite direction they face. Orbs do the opposite they say, fire elementals do the opposite, roach queens try to smother him. Etc, etc, etc.
06-29-2006 at 01:46 AM
googa
Ezlo wrote:
Who is Steve Wonder?
You'll discover from level 13 on.

I liked the "Spin-o-rama". This is the Scientist's special already implemented:

Click here to view the secret text

When pressing special, Chen switches his attack type. In the second mode, he attacks 2 tiles in front of him. When special is pressed again, the attack mode returns to the default one.

It doesn't cost any resource, but you need to have at least 1 wood in the stockpile.

This is cool for fighting. In a room that requires this ability, the player would be forced to kill two roaches in a single move several times to reach the mothers.

[Last edited by googa at 06-29-2006 06:37 PM]
06-29-2006 at 03:31 AM
Ezlo
Cool! With that you can kill enemies from behind closed doors!
06-29-2006 at 03:40 AM
googa
Ezlo wrote:
Cool! With that you can kill enemies from behind closed doors!
Yes, but I don't know if this would be a good idea. I can prevent Chen from attacking the second square if there's a forest or door tile in front of him.

(And this should be a secret, I shouldn't be talking about it with everyone. As you see, I'm very bad at keeping secrets).

[Last edited by googa at 06-29-2006 03:52 AM]
06-29-2006 at 03:52 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Question about Chen's move there: Imagine that he turns CCW from your rightmost image. Does the square two spaces east and one space south of him get attacked?

06-29-2006 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
Good question. I haven't thought about that. I think "yes" is the best answer. What do you guys think?

Note that a butterfly could attack the hero from that tile. Fighting with butterflies with Chen would be pretty cool, just by rotating the bamboo stick you would be able to kill her.
06-29-2006 at 10:22 PM
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
:sly here one for you: at the press of the special-key all that happens is that the clock goes to ?:20 the next move will make the clock to go to ?:40 and the one after that to 1+?:00, this will give you 2 moves in one hour, but I don't know about the cost of this, or for whom it would be...

and for the dane (Berk) :medieval he can lure butterflies into the water so they drown and/or he can sail onto land killing all monsters next to him (you know he is a viking after all) and after that you either sail onward or continue by foot as the last played character or he'd be able to "sail" over land
but could be killed by anything, but I don't know about the cost of this either...

EDIT: oh, and by the way, yes seems a good answer, Googa.

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Last edited by Birkoff at 06-30-2006 01:20 AM]
06-30-2006 at 01:18 AM
GLCoyote
RoboBob3000 wrote: Question about Chen's move there: Imagine that he turns CCW from your rightmost image. Does the square two spaces east and one space south of him get attacked?

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent here, because I would say No. For one thing, it seems to me it would make Chen a little too good at dealing with hordes (assuming the staff extends two squares behind as well as in front, he could take out six attackers each time he turns!)

For another thing, it seems a little unfair to Nikolai. Why wouldn't he be able to fire off an arrow mid-turn to take care of an annoying butterfly?

And how would side-steps be handled? If, in the example given, Chen had stepped NE rather than turning, should he have been able to attack the squares 1E and 2E/1S from his starting position (and the corresponding spaces behind him)? This could potentially allow him eight kills per turn!

[Last edited by GLCoyote at 06-30-2006 01:56 AM]
06-30-2006 at 01:55 AM
googa
assuming the staff extends two squares behind as well as in front, he could take out six attackers each time he turns!)

Note that when Chen is using the second attack mode, he doesn't attack on his back.

So: When moving, he can kill 2 roaches per turn. (max)
When Rotating, he can kill 2 + 1 (Robobobs' tile) per turn. (max)

This would lead you to a "3 kills in one move to get closer to the mothers" strategy.

BTW: Switching modes cost 1 turn, special key.

[Last edited by googa at 06-30-2006 02:48 AM]
06-30-2006 at 02:39 AM
GLCoyote
Note that when Chen is using the second attack mode, he doesn't attack on his back.
I hadn't noticed that. That changes everything of course; please pardon my objection. :blush

How would this attack deal with obstructions?
. . . . .    . . . . .    . . . . .
. C x m .    . C x m .    . C . m .
. . x m .    . . . m .    . . x m .
. . . m .    . . . m .    . . . m .
. . . . .    . . . . .    . . . . .
Where C=Chen, m=monster, x=an impassable barrier, like forest.

If Chen's facing E and swings to SE, nothing gets killed in the first case. But what happens to the middle monster in the other two cases? And would it be changed if Chen faced SE and swung to E?

Sorry if I'm being an annoyance here, trying to solve some of the more fiendish puzzles in your game has gotten me into the habit of over-analysing all the elements in it. :wacko
06-30-2006 at 03:59 AM
googa
You're not being an annoyance. Feel free to express yourself.

I think in the first case Chen shouldn't be able to attack.
In the second and third case I think it's OK. (middle monster)

Edit - I tried it now, and I think it's better for Chen to able to attack that tile if there is not any barrier in front of him.
So, none of the above.

Edit Once again: Where are you now? Have you reached L15?

[Last edited by googa at 06-30-2006 05:02 AM]
06-30-2006 at 04:30 AM
GLCoyote
Nearly finished! I have one artifact left to collect. And I think I may have to start a new thread for that. :(

By the way:
:lol
06-30-2006 at 03:07 PM
googa
"To try to her cats" heh, thats a good description for that room.
06-30-2006 at 07:34 PM
GLCoyote
Getting back to the subject of 'strengths for Jax', here's a couple of ideas:

Can push more than one crate at a time.
In other words, two or more in a row, the way snakes can. I'm not sure how this would work out if there was a sideways barrel in the row of crates; on the other hand I don't think I've ever seen that situation come up in any of the snake/crate rooms.

Immune to Mad Fluffys
Since Jax is the only one who's not immune to regular Fluffys, I thought it would be nice if it worked the other way around when they got Mad! :)

This could be useful in certain puzzles. (For instance, in order to get through a room, Sophie would have to turn one or more regular Fluffys into Mad Fluffys, then change places with Jax.)
07-01-2006 at 09:10 AM
googa
After Listening to half the Pink Floyd's collection: Finished coding Chen's special. It's "teh cool" to fight with him.

Jax is already immune to Mad fluffies man. I'm still thinking about a good extra strength for him.

Can push more than one crate at a time.

The problem here is that I would have to remake several rooms. I'm thinking about a new special that uses wood or water.

[Last edited by googa at 07-01-2006 06:03 PM]
07-01-2006 at 05:16 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Maybe give him the ability to use wood to push multiple crates (he constructs a lever or something)?

07-01-2006 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
googa
eytanz wrote:
Maybe give him the ability to use wood to push multiple crates (he constructs a lever or something)?

The lever idea sounds interesting, but I think Only Snakes could be strong enough to push several crates. (They already do)

Jax could construct a lever with wood to open or destroy crates. And crates could hide resources, elemental potions, etc.
(finally a good reason for a forest to have lots of crates ;) )

Here's my idea for the archer's special:

The "BattleCry":

It's like a super special. It triggers some kind of "Adrenaline mode", which give every hero a combat bonus.

Cost 10 food, 10 wood, 10 water, 10 Rope.

Bonuses:

Jax: Can run unlimited. (no food needed)

Archer: Uses a longbow. (unlimited range, but can't attack surrounding squares).

Lucas: Ability to walk diagonally. (Cool in a crucifix x Ray battle).

More suggestions accepted.

Problem:

This would increase the game complexity.

Possible solution: On every hero description the text would contain:

"Jax, the beggar.
Lives in...
War Scream: Can run unlimited."

Opinions please.

[Last edited by googa at 09-21-2006 08:59 PM]
07-01-2006 at 07:31 PM
Ezlo
So, uh, how hard would it be to create a character maker for the editor? I'm assuming so hard that it will never happen, but it never hurts to ask.
07-02-2006 at 03:50 AM
googa
Humm.. Custom characters, I don't think so. Too much work Ezlo.
07-02-2006 at 05:09 AM
Ezlo
That's what I figured. Oh well! :closedeyes
07-02-2006 at 12:39 PM
googa
Well, the Oscar goes to Ezlo:

Ezlo wrote:
Weren't you originally going to have a dog? What happened to him?

EDIT: I might as well describe what I think a dog might do.

Okay, the dog doesn't have a weapon, and always faces the direction he last moved. He attacks monsters by moving on top of them, but if a monster moves on him he dies. This makes for lots of "How to seperate one roach from the rest" puzzles. The dog can't swim, doesn't drop volcanic terrain,(being light and all.) and can't push crates, but he can push barrels. Plus, he can jump over one space whenever he wants, not by using up one food. And the dog's name is "Buddy" and his tag says he comes from India. Oh yeah, he's a mutt.

I liked the "move over the monster to kill it" idea.

Have a fresh new chocolate flavored mod point.
07-17-2006 at 11:56 PM
Niccus
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 308
icon Painfully Late Entry (0)  
Well, yes, the request is gone, but I guess a breeding grounds for new idea is usually not a bad idea...

--

I can't quite figure out a name, profession, origin, or age for my idea, but:

Weapon: Sledgehammer

-Only kills by swinging
-Weapon acts almost like an object by itself: Pushes crates and barrels normally, one at a time. Turning does what you'd expect it to do while pushing. Moving pushes normally, though you can move diagonally move "past" an object:
Ox.
.\.
with O as player, X as object, \ as weapon, and moving NE.

Possible special:

-- Power swing, probably requires one food. Either press "z" and the next swing is a power swing, or the game freezes when you press "z" and you choose where to swing.

-Basic mechanics: Object caught in the swing slides as far as it can to the direction in which it is pushed. (...Kinda like the generic ice block in other games)

-Possible nuances: Can smash monsters the same way (Imagine swinging into a roach to kill an entire row of them), maybe even killing a Fluffy (nah). For crates/barrels, maybe slides even off mud or slides to one space beyond mud, stopped by other crates, etc. Maybe toggles switches, maybe passes momentum on (too much trouble though). Projectiles done this way are are only affected by whether or not the arrow opposes it (deflection can cause nasty infinite side effects)

There are some other possibilities to work out here -- Would water stop various flying objects? Are fluffies still fluffly when flying 100 mph? Does the splotch of the roach complement the green of the forest? Would a crate flung through a ray disassemble into a fire and catastrophically light up forests? Comments would decide, right?

07-21-2006 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Ideas for a new Character. (Let's Jam..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com