Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Hold copying bugs
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Hold copying bugs (0)  
In the editor, when you copy a hold, either with the copy button or by editing it in any way, the names and descriptions are deleted - they are still there, but nameless, except that the hold is called "(Your name)'s".

Edit: The following bug is not correctly reported, see my post below...

Also, when a hold is copied, all scrolls are cleared and if you re-type the text, they are cleared again when you close the editor or move to a new room. I think this may have come up before though...

[Edited by krammer on 07-22-2003 at 12:02 PM]

"Oook!"
07-22-2003 at 09:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Hold copying bugs (0)  
krammer wrote:
In the editor, when you copy a hold, either with the copy button or by editing it in any way, the names and descriptions are deleted - they are still there, but nameless, except that the hold is called "(Your name)'s".

I can reproduce this bug. If you copy your own hold, btw, it's named (copy).

Also, when a hold is copied, all scrolls are cleared and if you re-type the text, they are cleared again when you close the editor or move to a new room. I think this may have come up before though...

Actually, this is a bit more complicated (at least in my case). If you copy a hold, then the scrolls are not deleted. However, the moment you delete the original hold, they are. I think that the scrolls still point at data within the original hold, which causes this bug - and perhaps this is also related to the crash on export bug described by Krammer in another thread.

Krammer - would you mind experimenting with scrolls in copied holds so that Mike and Erik can see if it's related to deleting the original in your case too?

[Edited by eytanz on 07-22-2003 at 11:25 AM]

07-22-2003 at 11:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Aaah, you're right. It fooled me for a minute because when I copied Tomb of Nomb, the Entrance scroll was blank - but so was the original. Yeah, sorry - copying and deleting the original causes a loss of all text on scrolls.

"Oook!"
07-22-2003 at 11:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Re: Hold copying bugs (0)  
krammer wrote:
Aaah, you're right. It fooled me for a minute because when I copied Tomb of Nomb, the Entrance scroll was blank - but so was the original.

It is? I get the scroll (it's my stupid mimic joke). I wonder if there isn't another bug here. What version of Tomb of Nomb do you have?

07-22-2003 at 11:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
The latest, I think...

After my horrible Build 29 experiences I deleted all the DROD files I had except my own hold, and re-downloaded when Build 30 came out. It's the Second Edition, if that helps at all. But it's definitely blank - in game and in the editor.

"Oook!"
07-22-2003 at 11:47 AM
eytanz
Very strange - I just downloaded the version that's on the web, re-imported it (and build 31 never had tomb of nomb on it before), and the scroll works fine.

Could you please download Tomb of Nomb again and check? We might be on to a strange bug here.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-22-2003 at 11:51 AM]

07-22-2003 at 11:50 AM
krammer
Okay, I worked out what happened - the scroll is there, don't worry.

To reproduce: copy a hold, then delete the copy. The scrolls in the original are wiped clean.

So in fact, if you copy a hold and delete either the copy or the original, the scrolls in the other one become blank.

"Oook!"
07-22-2003 at 12:01 PM
eytanz
Oh, weird. I hope this is fixed for build 32 because my current hold in development has a lot of scrolls and I had to make a copy of it after importing from build 30, and I don't feel like re-typing all the scrolls if I can avoid it.

07-22-2003 at 12:03 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Hold copying bugs (0)  
krammer wrote:To reproduce: copy a hold, then delete the copy. The scrolls in the original are wiped clean.

So in fact, if you copy a hold and delete either the copy or the original, the scrolls in the other one become blank.
Yikes! That's hideous! You guys are exactly right about what's going on. Both of the message errors you pointed out will be fixed in build 32.

[Edited by mrimer on 07-22-2003 at 03:20 PM]

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-22-2003 at 03:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
krammer wrote:
In the editor, when you copy a hold you didn't author, either with the copy button or by editing it in any way, the names and descriptions are deleted - they are still there, but nameless, except that the hold is called "(Your name)'s". [Edited by krammer on 07-22-2003 at 12:02 PM]
Will this also be fixed (It just happened to me :()

I edited the above guote slightly.

07-22-2003 at 03:24 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
krammer wrote:
In the editor, when you copy a hold you didn't author, either with the copy button or by editing it in any way, the names and descriptions are deleted - they are still there, but nameless, except that the hold is called "(Your name)'s". [Edited by krammer on 07-22-2003 at 12:02 PM]
Will this also be fixed (It just happened to me :()

I edited the above quote slightly.

07-22-2003 at 03:24 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Yep, this is happening to everybody and will be fixed too. (I fixed another bug in build 31 and this broke. Now I think I've got them both broken...er, I mean, fixed...in build 32. :eyes

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-22-2003 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Hold copying bugs
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com