Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum Search problems
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged
icon Forum Search problems (0)  
I am having problems using the search function of the forum. It used to be very versatile, but now I can't even search posts with "Tim" as author or "bar" as message body.

Did something changed, or is it me?

05-17-2006 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Forum Search problems (0)  
No, I think it has always not been able to do searches of words with too few letters in them. If you want to look for all your posts, there is a link for them in your profile, although then you won't be able to narrow the search down by board, unfortunately.

The problem is that words that are too small will bring up too many posts and slow the website down. Although since apparently (for topic name at least) it only searches full words, and not parts of words, it might not be too bad. But I know that I brought this up to Schik once before privately and it wasn't too high priority.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-17-2006 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oneiromancer wrote:
No, I think it has always not been able to do searches of words with too few letters in them.
I can't remember not being able to use "Tim" as author.
If you want to look for all your posts, there is a link for them in your profile, although then you won't be able to narrow the search down by board, unfortunately.
This is the *funniest* line I've read all day.

05-17-2006 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Tim wrote:
This is the *funniest* line I've read all day.
Um...? I'm glad I could amuse you, but I don't get it... :?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
05-17-2006 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I'm pretty sure there have been recent changes. I used to be able to search for the phrase as part of a word, but now it's only searching for the complete word.

eg "rabs" now returns a different set of results from "rabscuttle", where as previously I could inflate my ego search for posts that concerned me just with "rabs" (as well as seeing when somebody grabs something.)

--

An unrelated point is that searching can return (presumably) deleted posts.

Let me just create an example - I'll make and delete a post containing "holiday" and "bandit" as one word.
05-17-2006 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Ok, that didn't work.

The one I did notice:

* search for 'rabscuttle' (in message body)
* fourth or fifth post down - 'Favourite DROD hold' by Syntax in Anything. There's a link but no post :(

“The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.” - Oscar Wilde
05-17-2006 at 11:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: Forum Search problems (+1)  
Rabscuttle wrote:
* search for 'rabscuttle' (in message body)
* fourth or fifth post down - 'Favourite DROD hold' by Syntax in Anything. There's a link but no post :(
That post was a victim of this bug... I think.

Yeah, search changed. I made a change to how it searches that makes it a lot faster. It also makes it work a bit differently. I'll play with it - if this way turns out to be unacceptable, then I'll see what else I can do.

05-18-2006 at 04:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Say, er, not to hijack, but is it described anywhere how to use the search page? For instance, I was trying to find the architecture page for Phil's Dungeon, but "Phil" doesn't turn it up, "Dungeon" gets 41 pages of results in Architecture alone, "Phil's" contains a special character...
05-18-2006 at 09:25 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Forum Search problems
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com