Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : need advice!!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon need advice!! (0)  
I programmed a game, just a simple one. And i'm not going to finish it, because 'm really bad making sounds, bitmaps and music. The problem is that i got it running and it was fun playing the few levels i created and i don't want the gameidea getting lost. It's like the old sokoban, but it's a little bit more complex. I made 14 levels (that's nothing). Please tell me anything?? I just do not know what to do!

07-21-2003 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: need advice!! (0)  
I don't know anything about programming so can't really help you, but... please don't post a message twice, and also could you post in the right place - non-DROD topics should be posted in the Anything forum. Thanks.

"Oook!"
07-21-2003 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
Sorry, my fault. I'm not used posting messages in a forum. Is there any way of removing misplaced posts?

mfg. noman

07-21-2003 at 04:36 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
You can delete the extra thread by going to it, choosing "edit/delete" from the bottom right corner of the message, then checking the "delete" checkbox on the top-right corner, and pressing the "edit message" button.

As for this thread, you can't move it yourself, you have to wait for a moderator to notice and move it for you, which they usually do.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-21-2003 at 04:45 PM]

07-21-2003 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
Isn't there somone that can give me an useful advice?

07-21-2003 at 09:25 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Re: need advice!! (0)  
noman wrote:
Isn't there somone that can give me an useful advice?

First you need to make a useful comment. I am not even sure what you want advice about. How to make more levels? How to get help? How to not let the idea get lost? I doubt you will find many people here willing to drop everything to start working on your project, but if you ask the right questions you will probably be able to get some decent advice.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-21-2003 at 10:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noman
I need help with my game:

1) I'm not interested in finishing it, because i do know only 2 people in my life that would make some intelligent levels!!
If somone of you knows one that would be intersted i would make it as bugfree as i can!! Well bugs are the problem about it

2)I think it could be a relatively good puzzle game, but it's still in it's raw shape (no Animations, poor sound, no music) Well it can play sound files an can also play music, but i don't have any music that could be played.

3)I still do not know what to do if i would finish it. I don't want to play it alone for myself. I want that other people, that may be interested in it can download it from somewhere. I have no webpage, i can't program html, i don't have a webspace to put it on.

The only reason i tried to programme it was that i wanted a game like this and couldn't find it.

If there is a game, i would delete the source and play it.

Hope this helps you giving me any advice: :~) :~) :~)

07-22-2003 at 11:34 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
noman wrote:
3)I still do not know what to do if i would finish it. I don't want to play it alone for myself. I want that other people, that may be interested in it can download it from somewhere. I have no webpage, i can't program html, i don't have a webspace to put it on.
There are free web providers. GeoCities, for one.
The only reason i tried to programme it was that i wanted a game like this and couldn't find it.
I understand the motivation. I've thought about writing up a list of ideas for games and saying "here they are! Go code them up for me." Unfortunately, it is very hard to get it across to another programmer that they should make your game instead of the one floating around in his head. Every coder seems to have at least a few game ideas to write someday--whether they are good ideas or not.

But you have a chance at attracting help because you've at least made a prototype. I would get the file up on the web someplace and write up a description of the game that explains why it is worth looking at despite being unfinished. Write what is unique about the game. You can post about your game on the "Anything" board here if you want. I'd also recommend the comp.games.dev.programmer usenet group.

-Erik

07-22-2003 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you're writing the game in a programming language (as opposed to a game authering system), and are willing to make your project open source, it won't help to try sourceforge either. They give far better facilities than most free web providers do.

It was a lot easier to get accepted there back when I got EyAngband up (there was no way I could get in under the Angband license today), so I can't give you concrete advice.

07-22-2003 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Lucky_Mutt
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
OK, my company is just what this is for, we wern't loking for any game designers or designs besides internet based ones for our site, but I guess we could start early with you. The Game Publisher (which is my company) is made for the collaboration of different people (ie. programers, musicians, artists exc) so that games can actually be made and made well. Currently we are only making our site, which will have several online games (to attract customers) mixed in with games we are 'publishing', the site www.thegamepublisher.com, is pretty useless unless you just want a quick peek at what we can do because out 'creator's lair' is still closed, although our 'game vault' has some scattered bits in it (soon to have DROD on-line), but if you want, you can e-mail all of your game information and source to lucky at thegamepublisher dot com and you can be our first project. I hope I didn't make this into a comercial... I really tried not to.

-TLM

PS - Don't be a quitter just because you can't solve the open puzzles, their only their to keep the stupid out... If you get the one with a star type thing in the lower left, just give up and reload, I think I'm the only one that can do it, unless mrimer has.
08-12-2003 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
shurcooL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 40
The_Lucky_Mutt wrote:
PS - Don't be a quitter just because you can't solve the open puzzles, their only their to keep the stupid out... If you get the one with a star type thing in the lower left, just give up and reload, I think I'm the only one that can do it, unless mrimer has.

damn, i guess i'm stupid... or too lazy. anyway, i thought i solved the 2 rings one, at first all the dots were outside, then i got them all inside... but nothing happened. ;\\ then i got the one that had balls bouncing up and down in a tetris-like world. i got all balls to touch the top bar (and have the background go yellow) at the same time, but, once again, nothing happened! ;|

i guess i'm stupid. ;[

08-24-2003 at 03:22 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : need advice!!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com