Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Antonio Gaudi (Architect Extrodinaire)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Amourav
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
IP: Logged
icon Antonio Gaudi (+2)  
Hey folks, this is the Architecture forum, so I figured I'd start a topic on a really cool architect, Antonio Gaudi.
I visited Spain a few months ago, specifically Barcelona, where Gaudi did much of his architecture. If you have not seen his amazing work, I recomend visiting a webpage such as this one:
http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/Antonio_Gaudi.html

His work is characterized by an organic feel that breaks away from the traditional right angles we are used to. The curves and forms are very sculptural and to me, the buildings look more like the living embodiment of rock rather than human structures.
His Sagrada Familia cathedral, which is as yet unfinished, is the most impressive building I have every witnessed. It combines classic Gothic architectural ideas with a modern feel that is unlike anything else. It is a true joining of two eras.

I love especially in Gaudi's work the use of symbolism, with his lizards and skulls and gingerbread houses and turtles and such. I love looking for symbolism in art and architecture, and his allows this.

I don't really know what this topic is about, but I feel like being a part of these forums, because I love this game and the nice people on the forum.

Anyway, talk about Antonio Gaudi! I'll probably supplement this post with more about history and influences and individual works or something. Or maybe not. Go nuts.

*For Donuts.*

*EDIT*: Fixed Link.

[Last edited by Amourav at 04-25-2006 02:43 AM]
04-24-2006 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1908
icon Re: Antonio Gaudi (0)  
It is great to see people with varied interests (although we all understand DROD is most important).

The "Anything" forum would probably be the appropriate place for this.
04-24-2006 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Antonio Gaudi (+2)  
larrymurk wrote:
The "Anything" forum would probably be the appropriate place for this.
Actually, the architecture subforum description states otherwside.

[Last edited by Krishh at 04-24-2006 07:32 PM : Proof-reading is your friend.]
04-24-2006 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Perhaps a Gaudi.hold might come out of this?

04-24-2006 at 07:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Krishh wrote:
Acutally, the architecture subforum description states otherwside.

Technically, only Wright is accepted, and not architects in general... as far as the description goes anyhow. Wright is such a nice fella, yaknow? Still, I guess it would be hard to rule out all the other architects out there.

Amourav, the Architecture forum is chiefly aimed at creating levels for the DROD game, and not architecture as is more commonly seen elsewhere. That would explain the comments above.
04-24-2006 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Perhaps a Gaudi.hold might come out of this?

I'd design a Gehry.hold based on the building I work in, except that (a) we've got this annoying orthogonal grid in DROD, and (b) I like you guys too much.
04-24-2006 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Considering that I started a thread about Frank Lloyd Wright in this forum so very long ago, I won't be moving this over to Anything. ;) Some other mod/admin can if they really want to, though. I'm just surprised no one else had done it until now.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-24-2006 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Amourav wrote:
I don't really know what this topic is about,
To tell you the truth, the topic Architecture is meant for creating your own DROD levels. ;)
but I feel like being a part of these forums, because I love this game and the nice people on the forum.
This is probably more important than everything else :)

-- Tim

04-24-2006 at 11:50 PM
BoyBlue
Rank Points: 547
icon Re: Antonio Gaudi (+4)  
Everything is on topic if you try hard enough. For example, Antonio Gaudi is the topic of the final Alan Parsons Project album. The first Alan Parsons Project album, on the other hand, is about Edgar Allan Poe. The first non-instrumental song on that album is "The Raven", which is about a dark bird that's hard to get rid of. Second is "The Tell-tale Heart", which is about an evil eye. Third is "The Cask of Amontillado", which is about the construction of a deadly room. And the fourth features "Doctor Tarr". So in conclusion, DROD is obviously based on the music of Alan Parsons Project, and we can expect some future version of DROD to be about Gaudi.

/sorry
04-25-2006 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
BoyBlue wrote:
For example, Antonio Gaudi is the topic of the final Alan Parsons Project album.

final...
...except for the four that came after it

http://www.oldielyrics.com/t/the_alan_parsons_project.html

---

oh, and "the raven" and "cask of amontillado" are almost better than the original stories. very excellent mood setting songs.

[Last edited by silver at 04-25-2006 02:16 AM]
04-25-2006 at 02:15 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Antonio Gaudi (Architect Extrodinaire)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com