Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 2 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 2 East (+1)  
Hummm, another head scratcher :~(

seems going either of the 3 chambers does no good, i.e. kill brain and 2 queens in one chamber and the roaches from the other 2 chambers overpower you. Suggestions?

04-24-2006 at 12:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 2 East (+1)  
I did the chambers in this order:
Click here to view the secret text
I'm not sure what else to suggest; much like the last room you were stuck on it's all about efficiency and brained roaches.
04-24-2006 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wiseoldman
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 2 East (0)  
If I go to NE first and kill queens and brain I maybe can get back to entrance portion. but then there are too many roaches that come at you in that position and, thus you can never, ever, get out of there. There seems to be too many roaches and not enough time to kill them before the next batch comes at you. There has to be a way but what is it?

I have tried moving around without swings the sword but that too seems to get me no place fast. Besides, swings takes no more time that a movement up, down, left right or diagonial.

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 04-24-2006 12:38 AM]
04-24-2006 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I think you just need to get more practice with brained roaches - there's no real trick to it, it's just needs to be done differently than regular roaches. Basically, move around a lot.

With a regular roach, you normally want to protect yourself by standing next to a wall. With brained roaches, the wall may hinder you more than it helps you. But there's no obvious guideline to this sort of room, just experience. Just practice until you can get it done. You'll face harder challenges of this type in later levels, so getting the basics now is necessary.

04-24-2006 at 01:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Ahhhh ... practice :smile

Good advise ... but what am I to practice? It would help to know some of the "secret moves".

Taking your advise to "move around", which I did a bit of prior to asking for help, I discovered that, YES INDEED, it is possible to move from the NE chamber to the SW chamber and deal with the spanned roaches on the way.

Once the SW queens were "done for" it was no problem defeating the remaining queens & roaches. Then I just had to clean up the brains (which I really am not sure what they do - perhaps cause the roaches to move differently?) :w00t

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 04-24-2006 07:25 PM : solved the room :o)]
04-24-2006 at 07:11 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
wiseoldman wrote:
Ahhhh ... practice :smile

Good advise ... but what am I to practice? It would help to know some of the "secret moves". It is possible to "move around" and kill roaches with each move (rather than swings the sword). However, as seen in the enclosed graphic I am in the NE chamber and removed 2 queens but not the brain (not sure you have to kill the brain right away). Anyway, the clock is at 12 and there are 13 roaches coming for me. I do have to turn around so this takes a least 3 "ticks". So, my question is "how is it possible to move towards the 13 roaches, kill them, and then be in a position to attack either of the other queens in either of the other chambers all with in 15 ticks?"

So what "moves" do I need to practice? :w00t

It's not really a 'secret move' thing, with the exception that you need to understand how brains make roaches move. In yout situation in your picture, I'd take out the last queen in that alcove, turn and move. The objective should be to be taking out one roach with each move -- if you get into an alcove where you can only hit one roach for every two moves, you'll likely be unable to make much headway. But if you move and smite at the same time, you should be able to force your way into one of the other alcoves and take out those queens...and by that time it becomes pretty easy. As with most of these multi-queen levels, it gets progressively easier the more queens you can take out.

Sorry not to offer any real tricks, but as Eytan said, this room is mostly a technique room. When you can take out brained roaches in a room like this, then you'll be ready for the rooms on Level mmmpf grrxxx...[remainder of message deleted for security purposes]

04-24-2006 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman
Ok, this old man got it :O)

Man, this hold seems impossible ... but as always it was possible. now on to the other "impossible holds in 19".
04-24-2006 at 07:27 PM
samhan
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
can anyone kindly post a demo, i can't get it, i am overwelmed by roaches, grrr !! help
07-23-2007 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516

File: JtRH Nineteenth Level 1N2E Victory.demo (4.8 KB)
Downloaded 81 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 2 East (+2)  
Here you go... :)

07-23-2007 at 02:24 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 2 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com