Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
wiseoldman
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
IP: Logged
icon Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East (0)  
Not sure I am doing this hole right. I have only 5 queens left in the lower center, (15,29), (15,25), (15,21), (17,22) and (19,18). But there are too many roaches, 16 I believe, being hatched to get through the opening to either the queen at (15,25) or (15,29). So, what have I done wrong and what are some suggestions to "break through"? I can back up to (7,25) and kill the spanned roaches there but by that time it is spanning time again and I am right back where I started. Oh, I can manage to kill one roach at (15,24) but that doesn't seem to make any difference.

It seems that setting the "fuse" first and then working my way to the top left exit would be the thing to do ... but is there time to do this?

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 04-23-2006 07:34 PM]
04-23-2006 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East (+1)  
Yes, you pretty much have to light the fuse and make a run for the safe spot. It is possible, although if you can kill off one roach queen first, it might help. But in general it's a good lesson in killing brained roaches efficiently.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-23-2006 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East (0)  
It took me a few tries, but once I finally got it I had several moves to spare before the bombs exploded - so it's not necessary to be all that efficient.

As a side note, part of the challenge for me was to end up on the trapdoor on the right move, and not before (if I got there before, I'd have to move off to avoid getting killed by the swarm of roaches).

04-24-2006 at 01:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wiseoldman

File: level 19 1n3e.jpg (48 KB)
Downloaded 91 times.
License: Public Domain
Hum, so in the position I am in the attached graphic it is possible to reach to NW portion before the bombs go off? I did kill the two queens at (18,5) and (24,7). How can I get there when there are 14 roaches ahead of me and only 7 ticks left on the clock before another batch are spanned and block my way to the NW? Or is there some safe spot RATHER than heading to the NW?

I do remember one time that I actually got to the NW chamber but that was when I didn't set the fuse! That is, I had plenty of time to work down to the Y split before another batch spanned.

Man, I don't think I will get through this one :thumbsdown

[Last edited by wiseoldman at 04-25-2006 01:00 AM]
04-25-2006 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, it's hard to really give general advice on this room. JtRH is a little quick in throwing brains at the player...KDD was a little kinder in that respect. Which actually isn't that bad advice...you might be interested in taking a break from JtRH and playing through KDD2.0 (the Smitemaster's Selection) now that you have the full CaravelNet. You will be able to test all the knowledge you've gotten from JtRH, and get a lot more practice in other methods. There's no reason you can't switch back and forth between multiple holds, and KDD is really the best one for new players to play, besides JtRH.

Otherwise, I might suggest asking for a demo on this room, because it just requires efficiency in killing brained hordes. Also note that moving back and forth without swinging your sword is sometimes more efficient, it just depends on the situation.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-25-2006 at 01:43 AM
wiseoldman
Ok, you nice kind-hearted players - can you post a demo for this room to get me started.

I know it must be possible to ignite the fuse and still make it to the NW but, like the movies, it seems "Mission Impossible" :lol

And what do you mean by "... KDD2.0 (the Smitemaster's Selection) now that you have the full CaravelNet."? Is some other game of this type available for members only? If so where and how much?

04-25-2006 at 08:04 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
King Dugan's Dungeon 2.0 is the newest version of the original DROD hold. If you just bought a CaravelNet membership, you have the ability to download holds from CaravelNet, including KDD2.0 (and also including Perfection, The Choice, Beethro and the Secret Society, and Halph Has a Bad Day).

As for the room...well, I don't have a good demo, but I can assure you that it is possible to get into that little alcove and take out all the queens you can reach. This makes the matter of getting to the end after triggering the fuse much easier. The key, once again, is to back up to a point where you can be killing a roach with every move.

Some other kind soul may oblige with a demo, but I suspect you'll be able to do it without one.

04-25-2006 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Krissan
Rank Points: 89
In my extremely non-optimized solution of this room, I killed the following queens before lightning the fuse:

Click here to view the secret text

Edit: Just redid the room. Here's the "easy" way to do it:

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Krissan at 04-25-2006 08:30 PM]
04-25-2006 at 08:24 PM
wiseoldman
Ok, I figured it out. You DON'T LIGHT THE FUSE in the beginning!!! You kill the 1st 2 queens you meet. Then move down and get to the queen at the SW. Then move to the (1,1) queen (could be in the other order) and kill it. then move back down to the queens near 15,25 and get rid of them.

THEN YOU WILL HAVE TIME to return to the fuse, start it, and fight your way back to the exit through 1,1.

Here all the time I assumed you had to light the fuse initially but you can't do that.

So room cleared .....

04-25-2006 at 09:08 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
That'd likely work as well - but it is certainly possible to beat it lighting the fuse right away. Something like the giant mass of 131 move demos available from Caravel once you've beaten the room :)

04-27-2006 at 02:11 AM
alexis_kosh
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Can someone please help me and post a demo?
12-02-2007 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486

File: JtRH Nineteenth Level 1N3E Victory.demo (5 KB)
Downloaded 101 times.
icon Re: Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East (+2)  
Sure thing!
12-02-2007 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DCLeadboot
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17

File: JtRH Nineteenth Level 1N3E Death.demo (5.4 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
Blondbeard wrote:
Sure thing!

I'm following your demo, but I swear I must have either a shorter fuse or faster-spawning roachqueens!
This is what happens when I try to follow your demo!

Looks like I'm going to have to do things the hard way and get those queens before I light that touchpaper...

[Last edited by DCLeadboot at 09-10-2010 08:14 PM]
09-10-2010 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
DCLeadboot wrote:

I'm following [Blondbeard's] demo, but I swear I must have either a shorter fuse or faster-spawning roachqueens!
Seems likely it's because you had one more roach queen to deal with (at (17,22)) than Blondbeard had.
09-10-2010 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 1 North, 3 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com